• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning non wood materials

I have seen online how people turn bowling balls. They are extremely cheap on eBay and other used places, but through my research I realized they can be dangerous. Some materials in vintage bowling balls can be extremely hard and sometimes toxic. I was wondering if anyone had experience in doing this, or could tell me a good bowling ball to turn that will be safe and not to hard.

Thank you very much,
Sebastian

I have seen online how people turn bowling balls. They are extremely cheap on eBay and other used places, but through my research I realized they can be dangerous. Some materials in vintage bowling balls can be extremely hard and sometimes toxic. I was wondering if anyone had experience in doing this, or could tell me a good bowling ball to turn that will be safe and not to hard.

Thank you very much,
Sebastian
Sorry, although I've turned a lot of unusual materials, a bowling ball isn't one of them. But they are plastic, and plastic generally turns very nicely. Are bowling balls uniform all the way through? That's something I'd be concerned with.
I hope you come back with any progress on this.

Interesting that the core is not spherical.
Doesn't have to be, so long as it is balanced and weight controlled (they compensate for the average amount of material lost in drilling for finger holes). Many moons ago, I worked at a bowling alley that was tied to a pro shop where we did our own drilling. In those days, balls were made of hard rubber and composites, and an undrilled ball out of the box from the factory would not roll straight until we drilled them.

I've turned several different brands of solid surface countertop material. It turns and polishes up nicely though some will wear your tools down more quickly.

Back