• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for April 29th, 2024

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
My choice for TOTW for April 29th, 2024 is “Red Winged Burl Bowl” by Peter Jacobson.

I love the uniqueness of this kind of natural edge bowl made from a burl cap (my assumption), and Peter did a wonderful job on this one … and the color is gorgeous! I would like to have seen a photo of the underside just to see what Peter’s design choice(s) were for this piece. Although this piece is relatively small (12”), turning this kind of work can involve some very creative mounting and balancing methods.

Well done, Peter! … and, congratulations on your first TOTW.

1714359477302.png

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I would like to have seen a photo of the underside just to see what Peter’s design choice(s) were for this piece.
It really is a beautiful turning.....but, my first thought was the same.....would like to see the bottom.

-o-

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Thank you Tom for selecting my piece for TOTW. I am truly honored for this recognition.

And, thanks to all for the encouraging comments. For those that asked for a shot of the bottom of the piece, see attached.
Thanks for the additional photo, Peter.
Which leads to another question that I wondered about on your original photo (top side). Did you have to prop up the long NE wing for the photo so that it appears level? Or is the wide base and weight of the bowl enough to keep the wing suspended? Just me being nosy !!! ;)

Website
www.rareearthbowls.com
Thanks for the additional photo, Peter.
Which leads to another question that I wondered about on your original photo (top side). Did you have to prop up the long NE wing for the photo so that it appears level? Or is the wide base and weight of the bowl enough to keep the wing suspended? Just me being nosy !!! ;)
Tom, it's a great question, because it probably looks unbalanced. In fact, it balances OK without a prop on the side, but just barely. I tell my wife that if she fills the bowl with M&Ms it will provide enough ballast to keep it securely balanced.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Tom, it's a great question, because it probably looks unbalanced. In fact, it balances OK without a prop on the side, but just barely. I tell my wife that if she fills the bowl with M&Ms it will provide enough ballast to keep it securely balanced.

I have a feeling that would only be a temporary solution. :)

Back