• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for January 22, 2024

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
There are so many excellent turnings in the AAW Forum gallery that I was once again stuck on the horns of a dilemma when making my selection for turning of the week. However, there was one that I kept coming back to, first because of the excellent photography and a beautiful "still life" composition. "Fruit Woods" by John Vaeth is my selection for Turning of the Week for January 22, 2024. I liked the nice clean form of the thin walled cherry bowl, the unique design of the pear "barrel", and the apple hollowform with natural edge opening that begs to be handled. The addition of the cherries, pear, and apple works perfectly to draw in the viewer’s attention to more closely examine each turning.

full

Website
www.darawoodworks.com
There are so many excellent turnings in the AAW Forum gallery that I was once again stuck on the horns of a dilemma when making my selection for turning of the week. However, there was one that I kept coming back to, first because of the excellent photography and a beautiful "still life" composition. "Fruit Woods" by John Vaeth is my selection for Turning of the Week for January 22, 2024. I liked the nice clean form of the thin walled cherry bowl, the unique design of the pear "barrel", and the apple hollowform with natural edge opening that begs to be handled. The addition of the cherries, pear, and apple works perfectly to draw in the viewer’s attention to more closely examine each turning.

full
Excellent choice, congratulations John well deserved.

full
Very nice, indeed - the individual pieces and the composition and photography. Well done!

Website
www.instagram.com
Thanks very much Bill. I'm honored to have mine selected as Turning of the Week. You're right, there are many deserving pieces to choose from. Obviously, I can't take credit for nature's fruits used in the picture, but I liked being able to connect the fruits to their source. Trees are amazing. They live their lives anchored to the ground, producing fruit, oxygen, shade, and habitat, while absorbing carbon dioxide. They flex with the wind, rain, and snow, as if made from rubber. But when their rooted lives are over, either from age, disease or storm, we woodturners get to make beautiful things from them so they can live on for generations. We are lucky to be able to share their beauty!

Website
www.instagram.com
Very nice, indeed - the individual pieces and the composition and photography. Well done!
Thanks Stephan, and I'm glad to see you on the AAW Forum and posting pictures for the Photo Gallery. For those who don't know you, you should post an intro on the "Introductions" forum. You do great work and I'm looking forward to others being able to see some of it!

Congratulation, John. Your turning is delightful, and the assembly and photography of a still life is so interesting and well done. You've created a mood, not just a likeness. Shapes and colors thought out and arranged, adding yet another dimension, another direction of thought and consideration.
Good to hear your voice on this forum!

Website
www.instagram.com
Congratulation, John. Your turning is delightful, and the assembly and photography of a still life is so interesting and well done. You've created a mood, not just a likeness. Shapes and colors thought out and arranged, adding yet another dimension, another direction of thought and consideration.
Good to hear your voice on this forum!
Thanks for the very kind comments Marc. I'm lucky to have two passions - woodturning AND photography. When I finish a piece in the shop, I get equally excited thinking about "OK, now how do I best present it?" In this case, once I had the idea in mind, I immediately ran to the grocery store to get the supplies. I'm glad this image resonated with you!

Back