• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning wet Cypress

Was able to cut some cypress logs off a couple of recently felled cypress trees near my house. Looked at an older thread that discussed the mess they make when turning wet with suggestions on how to manage by covering nearby walls and floors etc. and wearing disposable waterproof protective clothing.

How sappy - that is sticky- is the water that comes off. I have a small (12x30) shop and am concerned about the mess and cleaning the water/sap off anything not covered.

Or.... is it better to let it dry

Thanks for the help
Don

wet cypress is just that, a watery mess but not sticky. I hang a shower curtain behind me to control where the wet goes. I have a steel wall in front and top that does not concern me.
wet cypress moves a good bit and is stringy unless you have some old growth material. In Jax, there is a cypress mill that buys sinker cypress from the St. John river. It stinks to high heaven for a bit, then turns a nice blond.

I would use a curtain liner or tarp, turn it and go take a bath. Wear old clothes and rinse them off before washing.
David
PS, oil down the lathe before and after

Good to read. Here in Charleston I occasionally have baldcypress available and haven't turned it before. Picking up a chainsaw soon, hopefully stuff harvested in winter is a bit lower in water content.

How does Cypress do when rough turned and dried for later? Is it more prone to cracking at that point than other woods?

it twisted more than cracked. it dries fairly easy once turned, just may twist more than you can fix second time around.
I was turning 20" platters to order so didn't have much to play with.

Thanks guys.

FYI - I took some moisture readings yesterday - running 50% ish on end grain. Thinking of letting it sit for a bit and seeing how fast it drys - maybe shoot for 30 or so and hope it make less of a mess? Any experience with how much end checking will occur as it sits? Was also thinking of applying some anchorseal?

Turn it now. No good, and likely bad things happen if you think you can partially dry it first.
Besides, turning wet wood is so satisfying. Cuts like butter, tools stay cool and sharp, gorgeous long ribbons of wood, good times. You’ll dry and so will your floor.
Once turned bowls also work really well with Cypress.

Anything you can’t turn today paint the ends with anchorseal. It’s slow to split but will still split on you if not protected. If you’re going to turn it this weekend you can also stick it in a plastic garbage bag. I haven’t noticed much spalting from the cypress I’ve turned so the bag shouldn’t damage the wood if in one for a couple of days.

Back