• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

US source for Sonderegger pepper mill mechanisms?

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I met an extraordinarily good turner at a street market in Lucerne Switzerland last week. In addition to some astonishingly good bowls he had beautiful peppermills of his own design that were of serious industrial capacity (lined with stainless steel tubes). The mechanisms however really caught my eye. They are Swiss made burr-type grinders that looked to be precision machines. The adjustability was great and they were capable of grinding a lot of pepper in a hurry. To my eye they looked like they might be even better than the revered Peugeot mills that can no longer be purchased as a bare mechanism.

As someone who cooks more than they turn wood I'm always in pursuit of a functionally perfect pepper mill to be able to give to people and find the mechanisms that can be bought readily in the US to be sadly lacking for kitchen use.

I'd love to get hold of some of these mills to see if they are as good as they appear. They are marked "Sonderegger" and "Swiss Made". I found a seller in Germany, but haven't found the source in Switzerland yet. A US importer would be ideal. I'll order some from Germany for testing, but would love to find a more economical source-- shipping is a killer these days.
-------------------
Brainstorm while typing-- try the right language-- Google is good, but not perfect. Searching instead for "Sonderegger pfeffermühle" took me straight to the maker. https://somec.ch/ Still no NA source that I can find, but I will write to him directly about it.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Foolishly, I didn't take any pictures of the inside, which was the part that looked remarkable. The exteriors were mostly plain cylinders with a matte finish-- very sleek, well proportioned, and modern feeling. Here's a close up of the bottom and one of the fellow at his booth. You can see his mills on the table.

IMG_7197.jpeg

IMG_7196.jpeg

Back