• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

***VFD FIX*** - JET JWL-1642EVS OWNERS READ THIS

I know this is a long post but I wanted to be thorough…

So, like many others who have the JET JWL-1642EVS; my original VFD finally spun its final spin. I went all over the place trying to find a direct replacement only to find they are obsolete. Sure, there are companies (Ali-Express) that say they sell an original, but I was skeptical. Not only are they not in the states but I was sure I would not get any assistance if the part failed, or I needed tech support.

This led me to eBay where I found a supposed, new in box, exact replacement of the original Delta VFD. I paid almost $700 and got it in a few days. Once the box arrived, I scrambled to the shop to get my lathe back up and running. I hooked the wires up the exact same way they were before disconnecting the original. Double and triple checked the wiring. Plugged it in an POW! The VFD was toast. I messaged the seller and thankfully he refunded my money. Also, of note, the bog had “big band saw” written on it in sharpie. Perhaps if I would have reset the VFD to factory I would not have had a problem but who knows. It certainly was not new.

I was not willing to repeat this situation, so I started to find out what VFD delta said was the new one. I got the part number and started my market research. The best price I found was from Digi-Key at $237.00, plus tax. After shipping and taxes, I think I paid $260. This is far less expensive than the replacement VFD from Jet (almost $1000.00). Their replacement is the E series, and it is a little less expensive than the MS300 I bought, but they would not assist with providing parameters for the new VFD.

Here is the link for the VFD I purchased from Digi-Key: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/delta-electronics-industrial-automation/VFD4A8MS11ANSAA/9862546?s=N4IgTCBcDaIGoDEAiAWAggDgLIGUCMeaAcjmmiALoC+QA

The new VFD had a slightly smaller footprint than the original, so I took a piece of aluminum plate I had laying around and made a new mount. This mount bolted straight into the factory location with some slightly longer 10-24 hex screws I bought at Ace Hardware. I also took the original 200 ohm braking resistor from the original VFD to put on this one. The new mounting plate with the standoffs allowed the resistor to mount between the head stock and the new plate with some double-sided tape. You can check your braking resistor by using a multi-meter to ensure it is reading 200ohm. If not I would replace it.

Here are the instructions for converting your Jet JWL-1642EVS from the VFD007S11A to the VFD4A8MS11ANSAA. There was a lot of trial and error getting everything to work and the one thing I could not figure out was how to get the ground to be present for both the A/C and D/C controls. I finally figured it out after moving the wire from one terminal to the other and everything working. I ended up having to splice the wire using two pigtails and a wire nut.

WARNING: I recommend programming the VFD with the motor terminals disconnected in case something goes awry. I did the bulk of the settings on the workbench with an old appliance cord I had laying around. You can simply use the cord from the lathe since everything will be disconnected from the original metal retaining plate. This plate does not hook to the new VFD.

Using the table below (110v power cord) simply connect the ground wire, black wire and white wire as specified to get power to the VFD. Once you have power, you can follow the instructions in the manual for changing parameters or watch a couple YouTube videos to get the hang of it. It is very simple to do. If I can do it… anyone can.

EDIT: THERE ARE THREE SMALL SWITCHES RIGHT ABOVE THE RED WIRE BLOCK. ALL THREE OF THEM ARE TO THE LEFT. THE LEFT MOST SWITCH MUST BY SWITCHED TO THE RIGHT TO GIVE 10V OUTPUT TO THE DCM CONTROLS.

Here are the parameters that had to be adjusted for the VFD to control everything correctly.

ParameterFunctionFactory SettingAdjusted Setting
00-20Master Frequency Command Source02
00-21Operation Command Source01
00-29LOCAL/REMOTE Selection02
02-00Maximum Operation Frequency60132
02-02Output Voltage of Motor 1220230
02-03Mid-point frequency 1 of motor 13.005.00
02-04Mid-point Voltage 1 of Motor 11120
02-05Mid-point frequency 2 of motor 11.55.00
02-06Mid-point Voltage 2 of Motor 1520
02-12Acceleration Time 1105
02-13Deceleration Time 1105
05-02Rated Power for induction motor 1 (kw)~1.1
05-03Rated Speed for induction motor 117101720

Now that you have all the parameters set you are ready to mount the new VFD to the lathe. Below is a table showing which factory wires go to each terminal to get everything going correctly. Like I said above I used the original braking resistor on the new VFD. This is necessary since you are going to use the VFD to slow the lathe by retarding the motor slightly with reverse current. At least I think that is how it works.

There are three tables, one for the control wires, one for the high voltage wires (110V) and one for the wires to the motor. I recommend connecting the wires in the order they are listed in the table, so you are not fumbling around the others once installed. Do not connect the power until everything is connected to the VFD and you have double checked it all.

110v power cord
Green wire with ring connectorGrounding screw on far left
Black wireL1
White wireL2
Control Wires:
These wires are coming from the headstock
Red wire with ring connectorL1 with the black wire from the 110v power source
Tan wire with ring connectorL2 with the white wire from the 110v power source
Yellow wire10
Blue wire (pigtailed) SEE IMAGEOne to ACM and one to DCM
Green wireAVI
White wireMI1
Black WireMI2
Break resistor 2 black wires with ring connectorsB1 and B2 (there is no polarity)
Motor Wires:
Green Wire with ring connectorGrounding screw on far right
Red wireT1
Black wireT2
White wireT3
IMG_3853.jpeg
IMG_3867.JPG
IMG_3869.jpeg

Once everyting is connected and you have double and triple checked put on all covers and prepare for the first run.

Plug in the power cord and check each function to ensure they are all working. Power on, RPM up, RPM down, forward and finally reverse. I recommend allowing your lathe to come to a stop before switching directions.

I hope I haven’t missed anything and this helps others get their lathe up and running. I am available to answer any questions you may have.

GO MAKE SOME SHAVINGS…

John M. Hebdon, MSgt, USAF (retired)

Attachments

• IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Posts like this are priceless.
Thanks for taking the time to teach.
You betcha amigo.

There should be a "sticky" section for models of lathes and these types of issues. I could not find anything that was close enough to my VFD selection to cross reference. This is a tried and true representation of what worked with the direct replacement to the obsolete VFD provided on my lathe. If you search Deltas website for VFD007S11A it says the VFD4A8MS11ANSAA is the replacement VFD... yet Jet does not provide this model as their replacement.

I have had nothing but good reviews of Jet and their customer service but this time is different. Their answer was... You should just buy the replacement from us.

Horrible!

Now I hope every Jet lathe owner finds this writeup and they do not sell another 300% replacement VFD.

I digress...

bonsaipeter

Peter Toch
You betcha amigo.

There should be a "sticky" section for models of lathes and these types of issues. I could not find anything that was close enough to my VFD selection to cross reference. This is a tried and true representation of what worked with the direct replacement to the obsolete VFD provided on my lathe. If you search Deltas website for VFD007S11A it says the VFD4A8MS11ANSAA is the replacement VFD... yet Jet does not provide this model as their replacement.

I have had nothing but good reviews of Jet and their customer service but this time is different. Their answer was... You should just buy the replacement from us.

Horrible!

Now I hope every Jet lathe owner finds this writeup and they do not sell another 300% replacement VFD.

I digress...

John, Thanks for taking the time to put this together. This is extremely valuable information.

I have configured multiple VFDs in metalworking and CNC service and it is a tedious task if you have no guide to follow. Reading VFD manuals is a real PITA!

Your documentation here is awesome.

Thanks John I have made your post into a word document, a PDF File and printed it and it will reside in the Jet lathe folder. I know it is here but it's easier to have it at the lathe. It's folks like you that keep our turning world pure and true by posting absolute great info.

Attachments

• Jet VFD Replacement2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
What a generous post! Thanks so much. I won’t need it, as I have a PM 3520, but if I ever do, I’d wish for someone to have posted something similar. Happy New Year!

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I own a very old and well used Jet 1642 so will certainly mark and save this info. I'm sure my day is coming to have to deal with it...thanks!

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Thanks John I have made your post into a word document, a PDF File and printed it and it will reside in the Jet lathe folder. I know it is here but it's easier to have it at the lathe. It's folks like you that keep our turning world pure and true by posting absolute great info.
Thanks Bill! A big help.

Thank you for doing that. I found a few of the parameters are incorrect. I was trying to figure out how to edit the original post but I guess I cannot. If someone can unlock the original post I will adjust it.

John, No words are adequate to thank you for your generosity. Your experience, knowledge and willingness to spend time sharing this fix is truly what this community is all about. Hats off to you!

I know this is a long post but I wanted to be thorough…

So, like many others who have the JET JWL-1642EVS; my original VFD finally spun its final spin. I went all over the place trying to find a direct replacement only to find they are obsolete. Sure, there are companies (Ali-Express) that say they sell an original, but I was skeptical. Not only are they not in the states but I was sure I would not get any assistance if the part failed, or I needed tech support.

This led me to eBay where I found a supposed, new in box, exact replacement of the original Delta VFD. I paid almost $700 and got it in a few days. Once the box arrived, I scrambled to the shop to get my lathe back up and running. I hooked the wires up the exact same way they were before disconnecting the original. Double and triple checked the wiring. Plugged it in an POW! The VFD was toast. I messaged the seller and thankfully he refunded my money. Also, of note, the bog had “big band saw” written on it in sharpie. Perhaps if I would have reset the VFD to factory I would not have had a problem but who knows. It certainly was not new.

I was not willing to repeat this situation, so I started to find out what VFD delta said was the new one. I got the part number and started my market research. The best price I found was from Digi-Key at $237.00, plus tax. After shipping and taxes, I think I paid $260. This is far less expensive than the replacement VFD from Jet (almost $1000.00). Their replacement is the E series, and it is a little less expensive than the MS300 I bought, but they would not assist with providing parameters for the new VFD.

Here is the link for the VFD I purchased from Digi-Key: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/delta-electronics-industrial-automation/VFD4A8MS11ANSAA/9862546?s=N4IgTCBcDaIGoDEAiAWAggDgLIGUCMeaAcjmmiALoC+QA

The new VFD had a slightly smaller footprint than the original, so I took a piece of aluminum plate I had laying around and made a new mount. This mount bolted straight into the factory location with some slightly longer 10-24 hex screws I bought at Ace Hardware. I also took the original 200 ohm braking resistor from the original VFD to put on this one. The new mounting plate with the standoffs allowed the resistor to mount between the head stock and the new plate with some double-sided tape. You can check your braking resistor by using a multi-meter to ensure it is reading 200ohm. If not I would replace it.

Here are the instructions for converting your Jet JWL-1642EVS from the VFD007S11A to the VFD4A8MS11ANSAA. There was a lot of trial and error getting everything to work and the one thing I could not figure out was how to get the ground to be present for both the A/C and D/C controls. I finally figured it out after moving the wire from one terminal to the other and everything working. I ended up having to splice the wire using two pigtails and a wire nut.

WARNING: I recommend programming the VFD with the motor terminals disconnected in case something goes awry. I did the bulk of the settings on the workbench with an old appliance cord I had laying around. You can simply use the cord from the lathe since everything will be disconnected from the original metal retaining plate. This plate does not hook to the new VFD.

Using the table below (110v power cord) simply connect the ground wire, black wire and white wire as specified to get power to the VFD. Once you have power, you can follow the instructions in the manual for changing parameters or watch a couple YouTube videos to get the hang of it. It is very simple to do. If I can do it… anyone can.

EDIT: THERE ARE THREE SMALL SWITCHES RIGHT ABOVE THE RED WIRE BLOCK. ALL THREE OF THEM ARE TO THE LEFT. THE LEFT MOST SWITCH MUST BY SWITCHED TO THE RIGHT TO GIVE 10V OUTPUT TO THE DCM CONTROLS.

Here are the parameters that had to be adjusted for the VFD to control everything correctly.

ParameterFunctionFactory SettingAdjusted Setting
00-20Master Frequency Command Source02
00-21Operation Command Source01
00-29LOCAL/REMOTE Selection02
02-00Maximum Operation Frequency60132
02-02Output Voltage of Motor 1220230
02-03Mid-point frequency 1 of motor 13.005.00
02-04Mid-point Voltage 1 of Motor 11120
02-05Mid-point frequency 2 of motor 11.55.00
02-06Mid-point Voltage 2 of Motor 1520
02-12Acceleration Time 1105
02-13Deceleration Time 1105
05-02Rated Power for induction motor 1 (kw)~1.1
05-03Rated Speed for induction motor 117101720

Now that you have all the parameters set you are ready to mount the new VFD to the lathe. Below is a table showing which factory wires go to each terminal to get everything going correctly. Like I said above I used the original braking resistor on the new VFD. This is necessary since you are going to use the VFD to slow the lathe by retarding the motor slightly with reverse current. At least I think that is how it works.

There are three tables, one for the control wires, one for the high voltage wires (110V) and one for the wires to the motor. I recommend connecting the wires in the order they are listed in the table, so you are not fumbling around the others once installed. Do not connect the power until everything is connected to the VFD and you have double checked it all.

110v power cord
Green wire with ring connectorGrounding screw on far left
Black wireL1
White wireL2
Control Wires:
These wires are coming from the headstock
Red wire with ring connectorL1 with the black wire from the 110v power source
Tan wire with ring connectorL2 with the white wire from the 110v power source
Yellow wire10
Blue wire (pigtailed) SEE IMAGEOne to ACM and one to DCM
Green wireAVI
White wireMI1
Black WireMI2
Break resistor 2 black wires with ring connectorsB1 and B2 (there is no polarity)
Motor Wires:
Green Wire with ring connectorGrounding screw on far right
Red wireT1
Black wireT2
White wireT3

Great post!
The VFD on my 1642 was blown out in a power surge a number of years ago. I paid to have it replaced by someone who services Jet tools. It cost me close to $1K to get it replaced, but since I like the lathe, it was worth the investment.

Website
www.zargon.com
Thank you for doing that. I found a few of the parameters are incorrect. I was trying to figure out how to edit the original post but I guess I cannot. If someone can unlock the original post I will adjust it.
Could you just copy & repost with the corrections.
As a “new to me” 16-42 owner I know it might come in real handy one day … I hope NOT too soon?!?

Back