• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vicmarc spindle slight movement in/out. What to look at?

I've got an older vicmarc vl300 I bought in January from a local guy that had changed the spindle bearings right before selling it to me. In the last month or two I'm seeing and hearing some slop that presents as the spindle will move slightly in and out of the frame. If you hold a chuck and push/pull you can feel it move. When turning, as I put pressure on a tool towards the headstock the same movement can be felt and heard.

Also, the spindle stop pin sounds like its rubbing on the inner piece (headstock pulley?) that has the holes to lock the spindle. I hope that makes sense. It seems like something has gotten loose and I was just hoping for some guidance on what to look at when I pop it open to look. Thanks.

Stop using the lathe. If you visit the Vicmarc website you'll find videos about headstock bearing service. It's fairly straight forward. Hopefully you have just some slop in the tapered bearings from reassembly that you'll be able to adjust out. If you are comfortable following their procedure, I'd recommend pulling it apart again and reassembling with fresh grease, etc. Check the bearings and bearing surfaces carefully to make sure they weren't damaged. This same procedure is done to replace the drive belt, so if that is old now is your time to take care of a fresh belt. That is a tank of a lathe (I've owned 3 Vicmarcs, incl. that one), and once reassembled properly will serve you well for a long time.

Steve.

Steve Tiedman, I experienced the same symptoms after installing a new belt on my VM vl300. So far, your advice seems to be right on the money! Thanks.

You're welcome, Jerry. Happy turning!

Back