• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vicmark chucks vm 100

I'm trying to repair a vm100 and asking if the insert on this chuck is a taper with a set screw to lock it in, or threaded. Iif threaded, how is it removed.
info I've seen is not definitive
Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Iif threaded, how is it removed.

Don’t know the recommended way to unscrew it.
On my 120 I lock it on by using the key. If I try removing it with the key it will occasionally unscrew the insert because the set screw doesn’t lock my insert in place very well.
So I’ve learned to remove using the spanner hole in the insert.

If I wanted to take my insert out- i would loosen the set screw in the insert. Put the chuck on the lathe.
Put a spaner wrench or rod in the insert and rest it on the tool rest and then put the key in the chuck and pull.
If that doesn’t work I would clamp one end of a 3 ft long 1x2 in the jaws and pull on the 1x2 or give the end to the 1x2 a whack with a mallet.

You could also use liquid wrench or WD40 on the threads before whacking.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
If I try removing it with the key it will occasionally unscrew the insert because the set screw doesn’t lock my insert in place very well.
I drilled a shallow hole (just a divot really) for the insert set-screw to sit in, helps with this problem.

The set screw is in the base, where it mates with the spindle, so parallel with the lathe axis. Once that's loose/removed the insert should unscrew (it's normal right-hand threads, sop lefty-loosey). On an old chuck, it might need some encouragement like WD40 or PB Blaster or some heat.

The Vicmarcs definitely have threaded inserts. The old one are just heads, the newer ones have a set screw that tightens against the body of the chuck.
If it seems really stuck I would likely use the chuck jaws to clamp onto a well supported board and then use the bar or a spanner wrench to unscrew.

The Vicmarcs definitely have threaded inserts. The old one are just heads, the newer ones have a set screw that tightens against the body of the chuck.
If it seems really stuck I would likely use the chuck jaws to clamp onto a well supported board and then use the bar or a spanner wrench to unscrew.
Not all Vics have inserts. My VM120 is direct threaded. Wish it had a grub screw.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
my vicmarcs all have threaded inserts that use right hand threads. They have 2 holes drilled in them. You insert a rod in one of the holes. Then put your chuck key on the chuck key hole and then apply enough CCW leverage to break it free. I put the chuck on my workbench with the chuck key sitting on the bench. Then I use a wooden market to wrap sharply on the leverage bar that's in the insert. This usually breaks it free.

Back