• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Water and Alcohol finish for Goblets & Bowls.

A few months back we had a thread going on finishing goblets and bowls. I was going back over a few old issues of Woodworkers Journal and I found this article on a product called System Three Clear coat. In his conclusion, he states that he tested the product by running it through the dishwasher several times with no evidence of damage.
This sounds like what I have been looking for. It is a 2 part Epoxy product. After curing is completely inert. Here is my inquiry to the manufacturer.

The Clear Coat product has not been officially tested and approved as a food
safe coating. However when properly mixed and fully cured (7-10 days at
room temperature), the Clear Coat is completely inert. Short term exposure
should pose no problems (i.e. used for a meal and not as a storage vessel).

System Three Resins Inc.
Technical Support
www.systemthree.com

The article is too big to upload here, so if you would like to read it, I can e-mail it to you if you drop me an e-mail
Thanks.

Back