• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Welcoming advice on designing a woodturning shop

Website
larryzarra.com
We recently made a cross-country move and I faced the same issue, creating a new workspace after 18 years of "perfecting" the old one. Rather than sharing my new layout since you've already seen many excellent options, I will share two things that have worked out particularly well. I had an electrician add multiple 120 and 240v drops from the ceiling in my garage, All my big tools (except the lathe) are on wheels so I can easily reconfigure the layout any time without having to worry about electricity and cords cluttering the floor. The drops are located low enough to reach them but high enough to avoid bumping into them. The second feature is a "containment" curtain hung from 1 1/4" PVC that isolates the corner where the lathe is located, keeping wood chips from flying everywhere.
Hi John, I appreciate the comments about the electric drops. I only have two 220 machines, the big lathe and the bandsaw. The plan is to position these where they will not move much, and have dedicated 220 receptacles for each. I do appreciate the pics of the containment curtain. when I'm turning a big green log the shavings pile up in a hurry. My plan is to have most of them directed into a corner that also has adequate space for easy clean up, mostly with a snow shovel. I will give the curtain some more thought...maybe just not in white. Thank you, Larry

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Other trade off is to not have a half bath, mostly because of distance to tie into septic line. I can walk a half minute to the house
It’s a big expense

We use the sink in the shop a lot
Rinse off bowls and HFs when they come off the lathe
Water to spritz HFs if they are drying on the lathe
Clean up of airbrush
Rinsing the airbrush cup to change paints
Wetting punky wood
Cleaning a cut
the tormek water tray
General cleaning

You may never want a sink
We wouldn’t want to be without one
Things to consider

We lucked out. The shop building was here when we bought the house. Has its own electric meter, its own septic system
50x50 building with a 25x25 area boxed in as an office or small apartment with a full bath and stove less kitchen.
Another sink is out in the shop area.

Last edited:

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Other trade off is to not have a half bath, mostly because of distance to tie into septic line. I can walk a half minute to the house. I appreciate you sharing, Larry
I made the same trade. For me the plumbing is reasonably close, but cost was already pushing the boundaries without adding plumbing or the extra square footage I'd want to accommodate a half bath.
Short walk into the house when needed.
And I usually have a gallon jug of water and a spray bottle for when something needs to get wet. And a bucket for the opposite (or out the door).

Hi William, Thanks for telling me about your shop. 30x50 seems huge. I want to size my shop just for turning and some carving. Trade off will be to keep mowers and lawn care stuff in one bay of the garage. I'm hoping an insulated wood floor will keep my feet from getting cold in the winter. Other trade off is to not have a half bath, mostly because of distance to tie into septic line. I can walk a half minute to the house. I appreciate you sharing, Larry
Well, my previous shop was 30 X 56, so I can say I downsized. I also had a separate 12 X 16 shed that I had to maintain for my lawn equipment. My old shop was about 250’ from the house. I realize a 1/2 bath involves extra expense with water, sewage and heat. However I am very glad I did it. My new shop is maybe about 50’ from the house. As I get older my trips to the bathroom get more frequent and urgent. I’m covered in wood chips 1/2 the time and cleaning up to go into house for each of those trips is an effort. It is something to consider. Good luck with your final plan.

Website
larryzarra.com
I made the same trade. For me the plumbing is reasonably close, but cost was already pushing the boundaries without adding plumbing or the extra square footage I'd want to accommodate a half bath.
Short walk into the house when needed.
And I usually have a gallon jug of water and a spray bottle for when something needs to get wet. And a bucket for the opposite (or out the door).
I personally rarely need to have any water in the shop. I do have a lab style wash bottle to flush occasional sawdust from my eyes. Also will have a spray bottle handy when 'ebonizing' with a torch.

Back