• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I have to ask Michael, what does a Super Moderator do? :D
Umm, I thought it was obvious. I get to wear a hero cape when I turn now. Ha. Ha. Buh-dum-ting!

But seriously, it just has to do with functionality in the forum software. This just means I can help out Bill and Emiliano with approving new member registrations. The list is perpetually growing--it's kind of wild (also kind of shocking how many new members join and never actually participate).

Umm, I thought it was obvious. I get to wear a hero cape when I turn now. Ha. Ha. Buh-dum-ting!

But seriously, it just has to do with functionality in the forum software. This just means I can help out Bill and Emiliano with approving new member registrations. The list is perpetually growing--it's kind of wild (also kind of shocking how many new members join and never actually participate).
As a fan of the Incredibles movies, "NO CAPE!" Edna Mode....

robo hippy

Website
jpseyfried.com
Getting close to finishing a 12 inch spalted Maple bowl. It has an undercut rim that is slanted down. I had thickly coated it with Anchorseal a few years ago to help keep the knot intact. It took some patience to deal with tear-out from slightly punky spots and a fresh bur a negative rake scraper.

spMaple844.jpg

Getting close to finishing a 12 inch spalted Maple bowl. It has an undercut rim that is slanted down. I had thickly coated it with Anchorseal a few years ago to help keep the knot intact. It took some patience to deal with tear-out from slightly punky spots and a fresh bur a negative rake scraper.

View attachment 61610
That’s a really nice bowl.

Website
discord.gg
What type of laser is that, and what software do you use to drive it?
It is a relatively cheap 5W (the kind you see listed as 20W) diode laser. Tool paths are generated with LightBurn, but control of the CNC is done with a heavily modified version of OctoPrint. I've modified it to do the things that are needed to handle the two rotary axes on the machine.

This idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while. Ambrosia maple platter/bowl with tooled leather and ebony inlay. The center leather medallion is fitted. Cherry top and ebony finial finished. The empty section on the top of the platter is where the tooled leather inlay will go.
The second picture shows the ebony band with boxwood treenails. The last shows all pieces fitted except for the cherry base which is not finished. Have some final sanding to go.

DAD24DAF-89B7-42AC-B406-42F050BA3047.jpeg

Attachments

• 29180501-5AA3-4813-B61B-A8F7398FB1AB.jpeg
    29180501-5AA3-4813-B61B-A8F7398FB1AB.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 28
  • CB384710-4BD3-42DE-9100-52848546D6A9.jpeg
    CB384710-4BD3-42DE-9100-52848546D6A9.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 28

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Worked on a maple burl with spalting on one side. Not really happy with the results.....spalting very soft and couldn't sand without taking a lot more surface off the spalted area than the surrounding wood. Surface uneven and a couple chunks of the soft spalting came loose.

-o-

20240316_222558.jpg 20240316_222638.jpg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
At each of my turning club's monthly meeting there is a wood raffle. I suspect that is pretty common. Last month, I was help cleaning up, and one of the pieces of wood didn't get claimed. It was a roughed out Black Walnut bowl. Rough refers to the condition as well. It was bad enough that no one wanted to take it haha. But, I couldn't refuse it, if nothing else to see what was inside. There are a couple of punky spots, and the roughout had some crazy-deep tearout, but I've wrangled it in about 95%, and changed the form as much as I could. Here is the exterior with preliminary sanding. I'm going to bring the foot in quite a bit more, maybe carve some feet. It's 10.75"d and about 5" deep.

IMG_7923.JPG

Website
jpseyfried.com
spalting very soft and couldn't sand without taking a lot more surface off the spalted area than the surrounding wood. Surface uneven and a couple chunks of the soft spalting came loose.
I have been able to improve questionable surfaces shear scraping and/or sanding after letting Danish oil dry on the piece. You may already do this.

Back