• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What brand of ink pen is a viable alternative for basket illusion work?

I have been using Faber-Castell Pitt pens exclusively since I began doing basket illusion. I just found out today that Faber-Castel has made the decision to discontinue the Super fine 0.3 nib pen that I use to do all the detail color work. Once they sell out of the existing inventory the ""S" pens will not be available. I once tried using a 0.5 nib pen to do some of the detailing work, but I found it did not work nearly as well for me as the "S" 0.3 nib
So, my questions are:
1) does anyone out there have any experience using a comparable type or brand of Pitt Pen that can be a viable alternative to Faber-Castel?
2) If so, can you recommend a brand that has matching color brush pens and the corresponding 0.3 nib pens? Ideally it would be great if pen clolors and tip types can be bought individually, not in sets.
Thanks!
Dave

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to offer (not sure what a pit pen is) other than saying that if I were in your position, I'd try to buy as much inventory of your favorite pens as possible.

Does the calligraphy world have a viable option for you?

Wait... I do have something! I have this brand of pen, do they have an option for you? Pigma Micron #005 in this case, comes in a rainbow of colors and different nib sizes, sold however you want to buy them. And looky there, this one I have is .2mm and black archival ink. I buy them at Michael's, Dick Blick sells them, too. Probably Amazon as well. I think this same brand of pen was mentioned in the recent "signing your work" thread. (I should have photographed the pen tip, I'll try to do that later and edit my message.) I've used this to sign my work, but I've also used it to write into marking knife scoring when cutting flat work dovetails when I can't easily see the knife line.
1000004607.jpg

1000004608.jpg

1000004608.jpg

Brand new tip. A gently used version looks almost identical.
1000004609.jpg

Last edited:
I have settled on the Micron 8. After starting with the smallest which the tip would be gone in a few pieces of wood the #8 lasts the longest for me.

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to offer (not sure what a pit pen is) other than saying that if I were in your position, I'd try to buy as much inventory of your favorite pens as possible.

Does the calligraphy world have a viable option for you?

Wait... I do have something! I have this brand of pen, do they have an option for you? Pigma Micron #005 in this case, comes in a rainbow of colors and different nib sizes, sold however you want to buy them. And looky there, this one I have is .2mm and black archival ink. I buy them at Michael's, Dick Blick sells them, too. Probably Amazon as well. I think this same brand of pen was mentioned in the recent "signing your work" thread. (I should have photographed the pen tip, I'll try to do that later and edit my message.) I've used this to sign my work, but I've also used it to write into marking knife scoring when cutting flat work dovetails when I can't easily see the knife line.
View attachment 59732

View attachment 59733

View attachment 59734

Brand new tip. A gently used version looks almost identical.
View attachment 59738
HI Steve, Thanks for the response & photos of the pen! Somewhere along the lines in my web search, I had stumbled across this Micron brand .... I made a note to myself to research it further but hadn't gotten around to it prior to posting here in the forum. I was hoping to gather some quick information & opinions from others who have some long term experience using other brands archival ink pens -- the good, the bad, etc.. Not trying to circumvent doing my own homework on this issue, - but figure it never hurts to seek insight from others!

I use Copic classic pens and replace the fine point with superfine nibs that have been sanded down to a chisel point so they fit down the sides of beads. I started using them after Bill Boehme talked about them in older threads on basket weave designs. Another advantage to the Copic pens is they are refillable.

I can't offer much advice because I only use the faber castelle brush tips and keep them sharp cutting the tip with some fine scissors. But I would caution you to consider the final finish when using any kind of alcohol based pens. I spent some long hours on a hollowform basket done in two halves on the inside and outside. I ran out of black ink (faber castelle) about 2/3 of the way through coloring the outside so I finished it up with a prismacolor pen. I put a satin finish on most of my baskets but when I sprayed this one with deft satin lacquer the prismacolor ink dissolved with the solvents in the lacquer into a mess. A hard lesson. I've since quit using anything but the faber castelle pens and now only use a danish oil for the finish.

David- I'm happy to help, and glad you've found the next brand to try out. Experimenting on some scrap will quickly verify success or... not.

Curt- I've always been cautious about the same issue, solvents of the finish reacting with the ink, even if just for signature writing instruments. I can safely say the Pigma Micron pens I've used for signatures do not react with Tried & True non-solvent linseed oil finishes. I don't think I've covered them with any other solvent-based wiping varnishes, it's been a good while since I've last used Waterlox or Minwax wiping varnishes, although those did not cause issues applying over other garden variety "roller ball" or gel ink pen ink.

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
I have been using Faber-Castell Pitt pens exclusively since I began doing basket illusion. I just found out today that Faber-Castel has made the decision to discontinue the Super fine 0.3 nib pen that I use to do all the detail color work. Once they sell out of the existing inventory the ""S" pens will not be available. I once tried using a 0.5 nib pen to do some of the detailing work, but I found it did not work nearly as well for me as the "S" 0.3 nib
So, my questions are:
1) does anyone out there have any experience using a comparable type or brand of Pitt Pen that can be a viable alternative to Faber-Castel?
2) If so, can you recommend a brand that has matching color brush pens and the corresponding 0.3 nib pens? Ideally it would be great if pen clolors and tip types can be bought individually, not in sets.
Thanks!
Dave
Dave - One option I use is to cut a bevel on the fine nib with an exacto knife. Fits down between the beads well and give you a little wider inking surface.

Dave - One option I use is to cut a bevel on the fine nib with an exacto knife. Fits down between the beads well and give you a little wider inking surface.
Hi Jim, Thanks for the suggestion! I can easily give that a try --- I already have a few extras of the fine 0.5 nib pens on hand - I use that tip size to sign my work...

I use Copic classic pens and replace the fine point with superfine nibs that have been sanded down to a chisel point so they fit down the sides of beads. I started using them after Bill Boehme talked about them in older threads on basket weave designs. Another advantage to the Copic pens is they are refillable.
Hi TIm, thanks for the info!

I can't offer much advice because I only use the faber castelle brush tips and keep them sharp cutting the tip with some fine scissors. But I would caution you to consider the final finish when using any kind of alcohol based pens. I spent some long hours on a hollowform basket done in two halves on the inside and outside. I ran out of black ink (faber castelle) about 2/3 of the way through coloring the outside so I finished it up with a prismacolor pen. I put a satin finish on most of my baskets but when I sprayed this one with deft satin lacquer the prismacolor ink dissolved with the solvents in the lacquer into a mess. A hard lesson. I've since quit using anything but the faber castelle pens and now only use a danish oil for the finish.
Hi Curt, great advice! I have heard a few "horror stories" from several people that had issues with brands other than Faber-Castel - that is a biggest reason I have used them exclusively from the very beginning for my pieces! Thank you for sharing your experience! If I am successful using Jim Mclain's trick cutting a bevel on a Fine 0.5 nib pen, then that will solve the problem!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

Here are some links concerning my experience with Copic markers:

Back