• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What do you watch when turning

Hi,
I am not new to turning but have not done any turning in a very long time. I’m talking decades, and I did not do a lot of turning. So, I consider myself a beginner. I’ve been watching a lot of introductory videos to get familiar with the tools and as soon as I clean up my lathe area I’m going to start relearning how to use them.
None of that has anything to do with my question but figured I’d let you know what level I’m at.
Once you “guys” are comfortable with using a tool, when you apply the tool to the wood and start cutting, what is your primary area of focus? Is it where the tool is applied to the material or is it the top surface of the piece where you can best see the change in shape as you take material away? I know it’s not an either/or but what what is your primary focus?
Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Starting out you should focus on the tool contact be sure the tool is positioned properly

I sort of try to look everywhere at once with a focus on getting the cut I want to produce the curve, bead, or cove I’m after

Depending on what I’m turning and where I’m turning on it I will focus on different things.

Turning the outsides of bowls and hollowforms I focus on the curve at the top of the form.
I can see the curve developing and the depth of the cut in progress. I can change the depth and see the result.

In hollowing bowls I tend to watch the tool edge because that is where I can see the depth of cut.

Spindles I look at the tool and just in front of the cut where I want the tool to work.

Shear scraping I watch the tool contact moving it where I want a smoother surface.

Last edited:
What Al said. As a beginner you'll want to watch the tool cutting, but when you're more experienced, your view will expand and move elsewhere.

That said, as a novice, I strongly recommend you hook up with your local turning club. (can we still say 'hook up' on a family forum?) Most have experienced turners who are willing to mentor those starting out. You will learn more about safety, tools, your lathe and how to approach the process in a few hours with an experienced coach than in 6 months of watching videos online. Your turning will progress dramatically faster, as well. Clubs are listed by state on the AAW web site, with club contact information provided. (woodturner.org)

Starting out you should focus on the tool contact be sure the tool is positioned properly

I sort of try to look everywhere at once with a focus on getting the cut I want to produce the curve, bead, or cove I’m after

Depending on what I’m turning and where I’m turning on it I will focus on different things.

Turning the outsides of bowls and hollowforms I focus on the curve at the top of the form.
I can see the curve developing and the depth of the cut in progress. I can change the depth and see the result.

In hollowing bowls I tend to watch the tool edge because that is where I can see the depth of cut.

Spindles I look at the tool and just in front of the cut where I want the tool to work.

Shear scraping I watch the tool contact moving it where I want a smoother surface.
Well said.

First, I always stand out of the line of fire, except when I am turning a long spindle. Mostly I turn bowls. On the outside of the bowl, I tend to watch the curve of the bowl rather than the tool. On the inside, I do like to watch the tool cut because it is really difficult to see the shape on the inside. I use my fingers to feel for bumps and dips...

robo hippy

Lot of good advice given - one thing that I seem to do better when I'm "in the zone" is widen my focus. Meaning, rather than watching just where the tool tip is, or the specific point on the silhouette, my focus widens side to side. This seems to make getting smoother flowing curves much easier and works with either area of focus. @odie - wondering if this might play into your concept of Spiritual Turning.

The area of focus, either at the tool or the silhouette definitely changes with confidence in either the tool or the form. The more I've used the tool or made the form, the easier it is to trust the tool positioning and focus on the work outcome.

This is an interesting question for me right now. I had to be out of my shop for the last seven months and had almost nothing to do with turning other than visits to this forum. When I first got back to the machine I did my beads and coves exercises with the gouges and some simple gouge spindle work and then I picked up the skews. I was never an Alan Lacer with the skew, but I was fairly comfortable using them regularly, even teaching some students. But that re-learning curve was slow going-- I was snagging and catching near constantly. Then I stopped looking at the tool edge and forced myself to look at the horizon and it all went smoothly again, and my comfort came back.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Lot of good advice given - one thing that I seem to do better when I'm "in the zone" is widen my focus. Meaning, rather than watching just where the tool tip is, or the specific point on the silhouette, my focus widens side to side. This seems to make getting smoother flowing curves much easier and works with either area of focus. @odie - wondering if this might play into your concept of Spiritual Turning.

The area of focus, either at the tool or the silhouette definitely changes with confidence in either the tool or the form. The more I've used the tool or made the form, the easier it is to trust the tool positioning and focus on the work outcome.

Oh, absolutely it does, Kirk......:)

Expanding your sense of awareness in multiplicity, is key to perception in totality.

-o-

Last edited:
Back