• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What method of holding do you use for cutting logs

I think I cover this in other videos, but can't remember. Generally I like to get the round up off the ground, say onto about a 12 inch end grain round. Next put some wedges in on both sides to keep it from rolling, then use plywood strips front and back and a marker to make the straight lines. In pondering my next chainsaw chopsaw (I have moved, new house and shop...) I am thinking that it would be easier to cut a flat first for the log to sit on so it doesn't rock, which would eliminate the need for the wedges. You always cut off that part anyway.... This does require to do lay out first. There are all sorts of X brace type set ups, but I had to lift the logs up too high.

robo hippy

EA3BEE94-553E-49BC-B9C2-E8FAA0DD87E6.jpeg

Constructed from scrap pressure treated lumber. It’s been outside for about 10 years now.

Usually I’ll cut two flats on both sides of the long. I will proceed to cut about an inch or so to the left and right of the pith creating a slab for boxes and misc and I will not cut all the way through damaging my stand. I rotate the log and finish off cutting the remaining material. Some guys in my club made the cross members lower so they can cut all the way through. I opted for stability.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I do like Leo. I will usually roll logs to prop or wedge the one that I am cutting and make sure that there is support on the bottom side of the cut so that the log will open up rather than pinching the blade.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I’m Low tech too.
My log processing center has no metal to avoid and it gets dinged a lot.
Low to the ground bigger logs roll off the hand truck right in place for cross cutting or ripping.
:) Instructions available on request :)

EA1D310C-0E61-493E-BE35-33D8F08E18C2.jpeg
Vesitile too - Holds crotches as well as log sections
460D6B00-2CFA-462F-AD9A-1491566F97C2.jpeg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Make sure that your instructions mention wearing safety glasses and a maintenance schedule for the LPC (log processing center).
The LPC is maintenance free and has no user replaceable parts.
In outdoor use it lasts about 5 years. Then make a new one.

The LPC itself requires no PPE. However when used with a chain saw the safety equipments for the chainsaw should be used.

I’m Low tech too.
My log processing center has no metal to avoid and it gets dinged a lot.
Low to the ground bigger logs roll off the hand truck right in place for cross cutting or ripping.
:) Instructions available on request :)

View attachment 28632
Vesitile too - Holds crotches as well as log sections
View attachment 28633
Is there some poison ivy around that device? Sure looks like some.

Well of course when the whole log has been cut into short pieces as to be made into bowl blanks, then these can be held up at a more ergonomic and safer cutting height.

I have used the half log piece shown here for at least 15 years, till it finally just split up and fell apart, it had a lower center where logs would sit safely to be cut in two or more pieces.

I have a couple sharpened bars (very large screw drivers) that I sometimes would use to hold a difficult piece, though normally I would just cut a short into 2 halves taking the pith out.

If as here in this picture where I would want a couple of platter slabs besides the bowl blanks, I would cut down leaving the last 2 or so inches till all cuts where made, then a wedge or hammer one of the sharp bar into the cutting block to keep the log from rolling off, then proceed to finish the cuts all the way through.

Oh BTW this picture was made 10 years ago, and I finished the rough turned platter blanks just a couple of days ago, nice dry and stable :)
MM cut up and slabs.jpg

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Once I have the log almost ready to convert it into a blank, this is what I use. I built it myself with free scrap metal. Metal shops let you go thru their rubbish bin, that have to pay by the ton to dispose of it, so I always find good small pieces. Good friend Wayne Omura showed me this design.

Attachments

• stacks-image-a74708d.jpg
    stacks-image-a74708d.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 370
  • stacks-image-bcbc41a.jpg
    stacks-image-bcbc41a.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 352
  • stacks-image-d433ed5.jpg
    stacks-image-d433ed5.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 317
I found this very helpful article by Doc Green Woodturner. I built a modified version (for my height) of the buck he has plans for on there out of scrap lumber and maybe 20 bucks of wood at home depot? Didn't have any 2 x 6's on hand. So far so good and the additional height has been terrific on my back for those long lasting rips.

http://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/sawbucks.html

If you use an LPC for a year or so it will usually spalt and provide some nice spalted turning blanks. If you don't want the LPC laying around you can always take several cut bowl blanks and lay them on the flat cut sides to create a cradle and place your LPC on it to process into turning blanks. It only takes a couple of minutes of work with a chainsaw on a section of log to make your custom ergonomic LPC each time you process logs.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Is there some poison ivy around that device? Sure looks like some.
I think it is all Spanish needle, Bidens alba.

Can’t totally rule out poison ivy in the photo but my botany expert did not se any.
We occasionally pull out poison ivy that pops up along the fence line, so we have it in the vicinity.

There are all sorts of X brace type set ups, but I had to lift the logs up too high.

Thanks for the replies. I made a make shift cradle and cut 15 logs (30 blanks) yesterday and sealed the ends until I can rough turn them next week. I did find a similar guide that Reed uses and I think I will try and make a "econo" version of his sled. I like the lazy susan where you can line up the pith. I have a few off, but will fix when roughing.

I think I'll turn a few to size and let them warp. I'm guessing you still true up the foot. What would be a good thickness for a 12-14" bowl? Also can you put a rim on it?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I'll turn a few to size and let them warp. I'm guessing you still true up the foot. What would be a good thickness for a 12-14" bowl? Also can you put a rim on it?

Thinner the wall the faster it dries also more fragile.
1/4” wall thickness is thin enough to dry in a week or so. A fairly study in use.
If the foot is recessed so narrow circular ring rests on the supporting surface, it is easily trues by carefully sliding it over sandpaper clamped to a flat surface( I use my table saw).
Alteranatively a footless round bottom needs no attention.

Not sure what you have in mind for a rim

Also for once turned cut rim bowls I prefer the rim to the bark edge as it warps to a sort of wavy rim while the rim to the center of the tree warps to a rimmwith two peaks which I like less. If you have a log with a flat side this is good for turning bowls with the rim tombarkmas it wastes less wood.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I love the stylish chaps!
I once had the chain caught in my jeans. I was afraid to look, I honestly thought I was badly hurt, had only a minor scratch but a huge lesson learned. The chaps are chainsaw proof... Visibility is a must in the Koa forest, lol.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Safety should always come first that is why I have my wife hold the logs while I use my chainsaw to process them into blanks. :)
The above joke was cleared by USC.
https://clhc.usc.edu/why/students/orgs/ilj/assets/docs/21-1 Little.pdf

Group safety is a big issue

The scariest experiences for me with the chain saw have been helpful idiots running up and grabbing a log to steady it while I’m cutting. Second is another kind of idiot who starts sawing in the same tree section i’m Working.

Whenever I work with a group that has people I haven’t worked with before I get them all together and set two rules.
1 don’t get closer than 10 feet of anyone using a saw
2 only one person cuts on the same piece of wood

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Group safety is a big issue

The scariest experiences for me with the chain saw have been helpful idiots running up and grabbing a log to steady it while I’m cutting. Second is another kind of idiot who starts sawing in the same tree section i’m Working.

Whenever I work with a group that has people I haven’t worked with before I get them all together and set two rules.
1 don’t get closer than 10 feet of anyone using a saw
2 only one person cuts on the same piece of wood

They're probably not all idiots. Maybe some of them are just poorly informed about chainsaw safety ... just speculating. :D

I'm still looking for an appropriate label for the person who "borrowed" my saw during a group harvesting of mesquite last year. His saw wouldn't start and when apprehended he "figured" that I wasn't using my saw which made it OK to borrow. Technically, it's true that I wasn't using my saw because I turned it off and sat it on the ground while going back to my truck to move it closer ... it was parked about fifty yards away.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I volunteered with the Boy Scouts for a long time, and helped with conservation work on our camp properties. We had a lot of beetle-kill come thru the camps, which meant a lot of work in rugged terrain: felling, limbing, bucking, and piling slash. It got a bit scary seeing a bunch of well meaning volunteers eager to help, but ignorant of the dangers (not only with the saws, but terrain and falling debris and etc).

So I wrote and taught a training class (evening classroom plus full day of field practice), and an Operations Guide and made those required. We certified two levels - sawyer and "saw boss". The main requirement for saw boss (besides competency and safety knowledge) was "situational awareness" (i.e. "head on a swivel") - which can't be taught - you either have it or you don't.

We required at least one saw boss on scene for any cutting operations, and often that person wouldn't pick up a saw - there was enough to do just watching out for everyone else and coordinating the work so nobody got hurt. It worked - we were able to get lots of work done in a safe and controlled manner.

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
I made this log cutting stand and used it for many years. Made it from treated 4x4's all cuts are 45 degrees it is great for splitting a large round with a straight cut and also for cutting the back side of a half round flat for the tenon. I laid the half round down on the lower deck for cutting the corners off.

Attachments

• wood cutting rack.jpg
    wood cutting rack.jpg
    725.4 KB · Views: 218
  • wood gift #2.jpg
    wood gift #2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 213
Yes, she is skilled in right crosses and left hooks with a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Has a mean uppercut, too.

The one thing I see missing on some of these "Log Processing Centers" is a long set of handles so you can tip it 90 degrees and strap a large log onto the LPC and then tip it back 90 degrees to pick the log off of the ground. Anyone that has cut wet logs for any amount of time knows how much the bigger diameter logs weigh and how much fun it is to get them off the ground onto the LPC. You could strap an LPC to an appliance dolly and use the handles on the dolly to leverage large diameter logs off the ground if you strapped the log to the LPC prior to lifting.

Option #2 dig an ergonomic hole next to your log and stand in it while cutting your logs. :)

Back