• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What the best coating for wood rings

So tell what you use to coat wooden rings that you’ve made
Looking for recommendations as I got some blanks to try my hand at wooden rings
Also do you use a metal insert or just cut the wood to the size?

I’ve made a handful of rings from hickory, no metal insert. They are quick and easy to turn.

The first set I finished with poly. Each ring would break after a few weeks (I wear them all the time: while washing hands, showering, working with wrenches., etc.

The next batch I did with epoxy coating. I haven’t broken one of these after months of wearing, but some water did seep into the end grain after 2-3 months causing dark spots. I tried a second and third time with similar results (difficult to get good coating on the edges , a technique issue that surely could be solved, but I haven’t yet).

The last set I used CA for a finish, much easier to apply than epoxy. The ring I’m wearing right now seems to be holding up well with CA a month or two in so far.

Good luck, let us know your experiences.
image.jpg

I’ve made a handful of rings from hickory, no metal insert. They are quick and easy to turn.

The first set I finished with poly. Each ring would break after a few weeks (I wear them all the time: while washing hands, showering, working with wrenches., etc.

The next batch I did with epoxy coating. I haven’t broken one of these after months of wearing, but some water did seep into the end grain after 2-3 months causing dark spots. I tried a second and third time with similar results (difficult to get good coating on the edges , a technique issue that surely could be solved, but I haven’t yet).

The last set I used CA for a finish, much easier to apply than epoxy. The ring I’m wearing right now seems to be holding up well with CA a month or two in so far.

Good luck, let us know your experiences.
View attachment 62385
I see they now have flexible ca glue, hmm!

I have done CA glue on a couple wood rings and it did eventually wear out in places after some months. These were veneer/plane shavings rather than turned wood.

So tell what you use to coat wooden rings that you’ve made
Looking for recommendations as I got some blanks to try my hand at wooden rings
Also do you use a metal insert or just cut the wood to the size?
I made 2 rings almost 4 years ago; -I used stabilized ring blanks and a "comfort fit" metal core and built up the finish with around 12 coats of CA on each. Both rings have held up - no cracks or other damage other than the unavoidable scratches. When they started looking a little dull from the scratches, I gave them a light buff polish to bring back the shine. I think it all depends on how people wear them & how rough they are on jewelry - nothing is indestructible!!

Back