• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What to use over lacquer finish

I have a few pieces that I have sprayed with Deft Gloss Spray Lacquer, but they all need more coats. What can I use over Deft Gloss Spray Lacquer?

Moderator's note: originally posted in a thread that has been dormant since 2013. Content moved to a new thread since it is a new discussion not connected to the original thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Huh? They still make Deft, it just isn't being sold by Lowes any more, as I understand it - Plenty of it available on Amazon if you want it shipped. I wouldn't use anything on top of Lacquer, TBH ... Other than the same lacquer to top coat - Lacquer will dissolve into prior coats... Other finishes will not, AFAIK - Perhaps if you apply dewaxed shellac over top then you can apply some other finish on top of shellac... Deft on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=deft+lacquer+gloss&crid=1ZG2ABJC0R0XE&sprefix=deft+lacquer,aps,97&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_8_12

I've mostly been using lacquer for several decades and prefer it except for turnings that are going to be subjected to food oils and maybe water. Then its polyurethane. Lacquer is easy to spray and dries quickly. In the event you're tempted to use rattle can spray lacquer, then lots and lots of coats will have to be applied to duplicate the depth of sheen three or four coats from a regular spray gun will give.

Precatylized lacquer is another matter because it chemistry reacts to the air and polymerizes into a hard varnish. Its unlikely that wood turners will use the precat unless they do a lot of furniture/casework finishing. That stuff is expensive and has a pot life. After a couple of weeks the finish is set. Subsequent coats will not adhere well like standard lacquer.

I've got a can of Deft I've been using on and off for 20 years. Add a little thinner and shoot away. It sands well and builds rather quickly. I'll use it when the turning is ornamental and not intended to be handled often.

I've also had a hard time getting Deft rattle can lacquer. I've switched to Minwax lacquer with results as good or better than Deft. I used it over some Deft on Christmas ornaments and it worked fine.

stuff is expensive and has a pot life. After a couple of weeks the finish is set. Subsequent coats will not adhere well like standard lacquer.
Could you clarify? Did you mean the pre-cat pot life is a couple of weeks, or that the applied finish takes a couple of weeks to fully cure?

Precat is the finish high end cabinetmakers use for kitchen cabinets and other casework.
When the catalyst is mixed with the lacquer, the pot life is generally considered one year or maybe a little less. That can mean that the lacquer turns to goo or the lacquer is no longer the durable coating wanted.

Usually three coats can be sprayed on in a work day and dry enough to handle the next day. While the finish is dry to the touch and can be sanded, it is not yet completely hardened (set, polymerized,). It takes about a week or 10 days for that to chemical process occur.

The curing of polyurethane is much the same chemical reaction to the air.

When doing bowls, I'll often finish sand what I can then rub on a thin coat of lacquer to the inside. I'll remove the bowl from the chuck and use the vacuum chuck for finishing the outside and foot. Wood is porous so without the inside coating, the vacuum chuck doesn't hold as well as I would like.

Its a time sensitive process but the results are well worth it for finish durability.

Once I feel the finish has cured, back on the vacuum chuck to do a final sand and polish of the finish.

I have a few pieces that I have sprayed with Deft Gloss Spray Lacquer, but they all need more coats. What can I use over Deft Gloss Spray Lacquer?

Your problem may be solved by first using one or 2 sanding sealer coats which will build up faster than lacquer. I usually brush it on, but its also available in rattle cans and I sand in about 15 minutes if its not too cold. You will know if its too soon. It sands easily. The solid content in a lacquer sanding sealer is greater than lacquer. You can use shellac as a sealer coat but the drying time is longer and wont build up as fast. If you are trying to fill the pores you should first use a paste wood filler not to be confused with wood filler. Mohawk is a good source. https://www.mohawk-finishing.com/

Moderator's note: originally posted in a thread that has been dormant since 2013. Content moved to a new thread since it is a new discussion not connected to the original thread.

Back