• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

willow

This is a willow I completed February 2018. It was a massive tree growing at the edge of a stock tank north of Dallas - the log I put on the lathe was a cut-off from the lower trunk a few inches from the ground. Finished diameter is a bit over 20".

Most trees yield logs with hidden treasures (curl, quilt, feather, bark-inclusions) - I've found the best material close-to or even slightly under the ground. The piece below would be less interesting if the bark-inclusions were cut out. In fact, considerable effort was required to keep the log positioned so that the bark inclusions were prominent.

I was in a little gallery show in 2018 with several other pieces - the normal routine is to put pricing on a little card on the pedestal next to each piece. The buyers of the piece shared with me what attracted them - they had visited the Vatican and, like most, were mesmerized by the Sistine Chapel - with the two bark inclusions seemingly "reaching out to each other", they named the piece Sistine Chapel.

Maybe every log is like a box of chocolates: You never know what you're going to get.

10_29_11_50 Blk Willow top.jpg

Back