• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wipe on Poly

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
I see Minwax makes an acrylic water based wipe on poly. But it's only showing available as a satin. I'm looking for semi or gloss. Has anyone used it and if so what are your thoughts? I have used their regular solvent based wipe on poly in the past but it adds a slight amber tint. I have some silver maple and regular oil based wipe on poly seems to darken and muddy the color some. I want to keep the wood whiter/brighter.

Does anyone else make an clear acrylic wipe on poly that won't add an amber tint?

I think only water based poly would not darken the wood. Oil based products tend to darken the wood.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I have used Minniwax Polycrylic in gloss, which is water based, and to make it a wipe-on poly, I would think all you have to do is thin it with more water

(Same as I will do with regular oil based poly - I can thin it with mineral spirits to make a wipe-on poly that goes on easily and dries very fast, but requires multiple coats for a good luster..)

I got it originally BECAUSE I wanted to not darken my oak wood project, and found it did work fairly well for that.. but it did require quite a bit more sanding as the water raised the grain quite a lot so I had to re-sand everything (Tedious when the project was fully assembled.) - so I learned to raise the grain on the wood with a water wipe-down and then sand before assembly, so the subsequent water base poly coats went on nicely and did not need all that sanding....

I used Minwax polycrylic in satin and made a wipe on water poly by thinning it with water, doesn't take much water so go gently. You can also buy it in matte and flat. As Brian said it raised the grain of the wood. I used it on an apple bowl and wanted the wood to stay white. It did change the color a little but not much. I used three coats and it did a nice job, sanded with 320 between first and second coat and sanded 400 between second and third coat.

Minwax does have a wb poly in gloss and sg, https://www.minwax.com/en/products/protective-finishes

For a wipe on, it would be best to use an extender (increases open time). General Finishes and Target Coatings have extender products, no idea how they would work with other mfr finishes.

Another product to consider for a water clear finish is Parfix 3408, a thin longer open time ca glue, no smoking or smell. Mark Silay has some videos on utube on how to use it. Good for pieces up to ~6”x6”.

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
I used Minwax polycrylic in satin and made a wipe on water poly by thinning it with water, doesn't take much water so go gently. You can also buy it in matte and flat. As Brian said it raised the grain of the wood. I used it on an apple bowl and wanted the wood to stay white. It did change the color a little but not much. I used three coats and it did a nice job, sanded with 320 between first and second coat and sanded 400 between second and third coat.
Vincent -- do you have a recommendation for thinning ratio? - 5%, 10%, etc?

Doug - I know that Minwax has the polycrilic in gloss and semi. Thanks for the info on extenders the other companies have. Not sure I want to mess yet with the cost of buying the different products and finding out they don't work together. I have seen other mentions Parfix but on my case the piece is going to be around 12" X 7" so it will be bigger than the 6"x6".

Vincent -- do you have a recommendation for thinning ratio? - 5%, 10%, etc?

Doug - I know that Minwax has the polycrilic in gloss and semi. Thanks for the info on extenders the other companies have. Not sure I want to mess yet with the cost of buying the different products and finding out they don't work together. I have seen other mentions Parfix but on my case the piece is going to be around 12" X 7" so it will be bigger than the 6"x6".
Ricc, I didn't measure but I would start at 5% and go from there, usually for spraying it's recomended to use 10%. Use a piece of scrap to test it out. I mixed it in a paper cup and applied with an old tee shirt rag. I just mixed enough to do one coat at a time meaning I made three mixes for the project.

I used Polycrylic a few times years ago and it definitely doesn't cause yellowing. To my eye there just seemed to be something not quite right about the finish--like there was something between me and the wood, slightly off color, with a cold, blue-white, artificial quality. Not the warm, approachable, natural look that I prefer. I'd suggest you try it on something unimportant to see how it looks to you before using on something you really care about.

Doug - I know that Minwax has the polycrilic in gloss and semi.
My intention was for you to see the mw “one coat polyurethane”. I tried polycrylic years ago, IMO mostly useless. The one coat is a different product. Havent tried it, just showing another water clear mw product you could research and possibly try.

Ack! I lost my mind and put a coat of Minwax Wipe-on Polyurethane on top a Mahoney oil finish on a cherry bowl I’m super proud of. Seeking suggestions for what to do now to get a good, even finish. Thanks in advance.

Wipe on Poly can readily be buffed up to a gloss finish. I do this often as I dont really like the look of most gloss finishes as they appear plastic to me. So what I do is use 2-3 coats of satin and allow it to go hard which depending on the weather 2-3 days on warm to hot days. Then buff it, it will buff up to whatever degree of gloss you want

Wipe on Poly can readily be buffed up to a gloss finish. I do this often as I dont really like the look of most gloss finishes as they appear plastic to me. So what I do is use 2-3 coats of satin and allow it to go hard which depending on the weather 2-3 days on warm to hot days. Then buff it, it will buff up to whatever degree of gloss you want
That surprises me. To get a satin finish, they add a flattening agent to the liquid so it won't reflect light. Not doubting you do it, just surprises me. Thickness of the coats can greatly increase curing time in the winter!

That surprises me. To get a satin finish, they add a flattening agent to the liquid so it won't reflect light.
Buffing compound reduces the krinkling, and was fills in the small negative areas in the cured surface. Not quite as glossy as gloss, but it works. I use semi gloss. A big advantage vs gloss - the negative areas are muted (like a natural edge) and don’t gloss, which looks a lot less “plasticky”.

That surprises me. To get a satin finish, they add a flattening agent to the liquid so it won't reflect light. Not doubting you do it, just surprises me. Thickness of the coats can greatly increase curing time in the winter!
actually, my avatar was done in satin W.O.P.

While I realize the OP does not want to darken or "yellow" the wood, I have never been satisfied with water based poly on bowls. It just doesn't bring out the true nature of the grain of the wood and, for bowls, that really is the ultimate goal unless you're painting them. I think that water based poly sometimes works as a final coat over oil-based as a final protective coat.

I would go with a spray lacquer if I didn't want to darken the wood. It will provide good color pop and tends to yellow a small amount over the years but not much.

I'm a cabinet finisher by trade. I have yet to see a water-based product that gives the nice color that solvent base and oil base products do.

I would go with a spray lacquer if I didn't want to darken the wood. It will provide good color pop and tends to yellow a small amount over the years but not much.
Sherwin Williams has a solvent based CAB lacquer that does not yellow
Why use a "wipe-on" poly rather than a tung-oil or tung oil mix?
Dries much faster, cheaper, more readily available, looks the same (if excess is wiped off).

Yes, the water based wipe on poly can give a plastic look, but I find that is if you put on the poly and then do nothing else to it. I put on 4 coats of poly and then let it harden (I wait a week or more) and then wet sand/polish, starting with 600 and work up to 12,000. With the west sand/polish treatment that plastic look goes away and you get a real nice shine. If you want a real deep gloss put on 8-12 coats of poly, and then after sanding/polishing to 12,000, you can really finish it off with Zona paper and then buff with Hutt's plastic polish.

Back