• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

With Apologies…..More Lathe Questions

Website
www.Hale-Construction.com
Just scheduled with the neurosurgeon for round seven on my decaying spine. Big fun times. I have myself 98% talked into a Vicmarc VL240 for the advantage of the pivoting head and the ability to stand facing the work instead of leaning over the ways or working with my arms out. I primarily turn bowls and platters, so I’m focusing on a machine to help me get comfortable in that realm. I’ll keep my old lathe for spindle work.
Questions…
Does anyone know the capacity of the VL240 at 30 degrees? I do turn some larger platters and bowls approaching 24”, not as a habit, but it happens and I would like to have that ability.

Should I give more thought to setting up at the end of a sliding headstock lathe? I see setups with dropped extensions that allow larger work without wrestling outriggers or stand alone rests, but really don’t know which manufacturer(s) to explore.

I know there are more than a few bad backs out there, hoping for a little feedback. Thanks!

IMG_0454.jpegIMG_0450.jpegIMG_0361.jpegIMG_0387.jpegNot sure about the Vic. I have the same problem. I have had three neck surgeries and have spinal fusion from C3 to C7. I also have spinal stenosis at T 9&10 and L 2&3. I bought a pivoting headstock for that reason. I have had it for two years and can’t see myself turning without it. I bought a Record Power Envoy lathe. It will turn 16” over the bed and 39” outboard. I bought it from Highland Woodworking out of Atlanta. I am very happy with the lathe. Here are a few pictures.

Andrew, I like Rusty have a Record Power lathe with the pivoting headstock. I have the smaller Coronet Herald which has a 14 inch swing over the bed and outboard turning of around 22-24 inches. Although I have only turned up to around 18 inches in diameter with it thus far. I also purchased mine from Highland Woodworking in Atlanta. They were a real good company to deal with and I have been very pleased with the Record Power Lathe so far. Best of luck with the back surgery and with your lathe search.

Powermatic, I have a tailstock swing-away. I just slide head/banjo to the end and turn from the end. Very comfortable for me. I have a bad back that does not take much to make it scream.

Should I give more thought to setting up at the end of a sliding headstock lathe? I see setups with dropped extensions that allow larger work without wrestling outriggers or stand alone rests, but really don’t know which manufacturer(s) to explore.

I know there are more than a few bad backs out there, hoping for a little feedback. Thanks!
This would be my preferred option. You get better tool post support this way. I’d personally go the Powermatic route if I had the option. The little 2020B with bed extension might make a nice little bowl turning lathe?
Then there’s the VB36 if you have deep pockets. Originally made in the UK but now made in Germany.

IMG_8990.jpeg

Dream Machines:

Hi Andrew. We have the Laguna 1836 with the drop down extension. I've used it on a few things up to 24" and it seemed to work great. One was a square platter, Natural edge on 2 sides and left the chainsaw cut/texture on the other two. So started out more unbalanced than a normal blank. Could have easily spun it faster than I felt comfortable without the lathe starting to shake. We have put a couple of boards in the upper shelf location under the bed and added about 100 lbs. There's a lower shelf location too if you wanted to add even more weight and really stabilize for turning on that end mostly. We don't use the lower one because our lathe is against the wall and that lower shelf would make cleaning out shavings behind the lathe a pain.

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
Just scheduled with the neurosurgeon for round seven on my decaying spine. Big fun times. I have myself 98% talked into a Vicmarc VL240 for the advantage of the pivoting head and the ability to stand facing the work instead of leaning over the ways or working with my arms out. I primarily turn bowls and platters, so I’m focusing on a machine to help me get comfortable in that realm. I’ll keep my old lathe for spindle work.
Questions…
Does anyone know the capacity of the VL240 at 30 degrees? I do turn some larger platters and bowls approaching 24”, not as a habit, but it happens and I would like to have that ability.

Andrew - The VL240 has the same capacity at 30 degrees as normal about 19 inches. To get more out of it you would need to go to 90 degrees and use their outboard tool rest. This device is attached to the lathe and is very well made. I have been totally impressed with the build quality of the lathe and their customer support is great.

Attachments

• IMG_1469.jpeg
    IMG_1469.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 29
I went out and checked mine. It is about 9 1/2 inches to center height, so 19 inches max or some metric measure. As for the outboard set up, it is not as 'adjustable' as the banjo, you have to move the whole post, which I found awkward. One huge plus to me about the 240 is the 3 speed ranges/pulleys. Minimum speed is below 10 rpm. 2 hp is more than enough. You will need help moving it around....

robo hippy

I’ve been using sliding headstock lathes since my first upgrade from an entry level lathe a couple decades ago. That was a Jet 1642. I got accustomed to turning off the end of the bed very early on, and it’s my preferred way to turn. The headstock on the Robust AB I‘ve had for over 12 years has not been any further left than the middle of the ways very often since I got it. The Tilt-away is a one hand operation and gets the tailstock completely out of the way. I turn up to 24” (could probably squeak out an inch more if necessary) off the end of the ways.
I’ve noticed that it’s not necessary to bring the head all the way to the end of the ways to be able to stand at the end to turn the bulk of what I do on a regular basis - about 3/4 of the way gets the job done and the tailstock can still remain in place to get the piece as true as possible before relying on the chuck alone to complete the hollowing.

Website
I just noticed you are about 2 hours away. You are more than welcome to come over and take it for a test drive. I had all of my surgeries in Westerville with Dr Zerick.
Thanks Rusty! I’m not familiar with Dr. Zerick, but I think OSU med is going to give me my own parking space one of these days…
How is the Envoy with heavy/unbalanced stock? I turn lots of wet Locust and Elm, neither of which qualifies as light and manageable.
I’ll be over your way to see a buddy after he is done with lambing season, I’d love to stop by!

Website
This would be my preferred option. You get better tool post support this way. I’d personally go the Powermatic route if I had the option. The little 2020B with bed extension might make a nice little bowl turning lathe?
Then there’s the VB36 if you have deep pockets. Originally made in the UK but now made in Germany.

View attachment 59869

Dream Machines:

Deep pockets, indeed! I’ve never seen a VB in person, but I‘ll bet they are fun to play on.

Website
I went out and checked mine. It is about 9 1/2 inches to center height, so 19 inches max or some metric measure. As for the outboard set up, it is not as 'adjustable' as the banjo, you have to move the whole post, which I found awkward. One huge plus to me about the 240 is the 3 speed ranges/pulleys. Minimum speed is below 10 rpm. 2 hp is more than enough. You will need help moving it around....

robo hippy
My inventor brain keeps trying to come up with a way to use my left foot to move the floor post effectively. I guess if you were turning a 30” platter, you wouldn't be moving the rest all that much, so it might not be a big issue.

Website
Hi Andrew. We have the Laguna 1836 with the drop down extension. I've used it on a few things up to 24" and it seemed to work great. One was a square platter, Natural edge on 2 sides and left the chainsaw cut/texture on the other two. So started out more unbalanced than a normal blank. Could have easily spun it faster than I felt comfortable without the lathe starting to shake. We have put a couple of boards in the upper shelf location under the bed and added about 100 lbs. There's a lower shelf location too if you wanted to add even more weight and really stabilize for turning on that end mostly. We don't use the lower one because our lathe is against the wall and that lower shelf would make cleaning out shavings behind the lathe a pain.
Thanks Elmer! Do you feel any additional vibration with the rest on the extension, or is it fairly well absorbed? I turn quite a bit of Locust, which can beat you up a bit if there is anything flexing.

Thanks Rusty! I’m not familiar with Dr. Zerick, but I think OSU med is going to give me my own parking space one of these days…
How is the Envoy with heavy/unbalanced stock? I turn lots of wet Locust and Elm, neither of which qualifies as light and manageable.
I’ll be over your way to see a buddy after he is done with lambing season, I’d love to stop by!
The Envoy weighs around 350 pounds. I have put some chunks on that just barely fit and no problem as long as I start slow and turn up the more balanced it gets. By starting slow I mean 400. Only twice I had to go to the slower pulley. Give me a shout when you think you will be down this way. If I am home you are welcome to come over and turn.

Thanks Elmer! Do you feel any additional vibration with the rest on the extension, or is it fairly well absorbed? I turn quite a bit of Locust, which can beat you up a bit if there is anything flexing.
I didn't notice any additional vibration on the tool rest while on the extension. I forgot to mention that I really like the ability to use the tailstock on the extension which I don't think is an option with most outboard turning.

Back