• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wolverine with 6" grinder

I finally broke and spent the money on a Wolverine grinding jig after all this time. The reason I actually quit turning a couple years ago was because I couldn't sharpen and I ruined a spindle gouge trying to do it by hand. Anyway, my grinder is a Grizzly 6" which I plan to keep because I've already spent WAY past my permitted budget. My question is really about the Vari-grind. I've read several articles that say to extend it 2" on every grinder but I've read some articles that say on a 6" to only have 1-3/4" of tool extended. It's very confusing but I'd like to have it figured out by the time it arrives on Saturday. Please help.

Nevermind. I Googled the instructions, which I probably should've done first, and Oneway says 1-3/4" is optimal.

Brain,
There are a number of recipes for setting up the jig. When I was in the same situation and researching this subject a few years ago, there was a recurring commentary that the Oneway instructions were confusing and didn't produce the results the user wanted. Kirk DeHeer has a recipe that works and Doug Thompson has a recipe that works, though they are not quite the same. If memory serves, there is some support for raising a 6" grinder up so that the centerline is at a particular height above the bases. I'm sorry I can't offhand recall the number.

Dean, thank you for the direction towards Doug Thompson. I checked his website he lists some suggested angles to use. Before I was completely in the dark. John, the video is great. The shopmade jigs are an excellent idea. Coming with Wolverine are 3 Raptors that cost me $9 each. Not gonna drive me to bankruptcy, but I would've made them myself if I knew how.

The instructions say the centerline of the grinding wheels should be elevated to approximately 6-1/4" to 6-1/2". I'll have to go out to the shed when I get a moment and check if my base is the right height. If not, I'll build a new one. The base is not shown in the other thread.

Back