• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood bowls on TV or the movies?

I've been streaming Northern Exposure from the beginning and I'm up to season 3 episode 11 and at about the 13:20 point there is a wooden bowl.

Looks like a nice one. Has a green medallion on the bottom with what might be a stamped logo or signature.

Anyone from here make it? Long shot I know but someone somewhere made it and there's a lot of bowls in the gallery that could be in the movies as well.

Later in the episode there is another but I haven't seen the bottom on it.

From Wikipidia- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Exposure

Production

Although Cicely is widely thought to be based on Talkeetna, Alaska,[14][15] its main street and the filming location was that of Roslyn, Washington. "Northern Exposure II" (the main production facility) was in Redmond, Washington, in what is now the headquarters of Genie Industries, behind a business park.

According to The Northern Exposure Book, the moose in the opening titles was named Mort and was provided by Washington State University, where he was part of a captive herd. To film the opening sequence, the crew fenced off Roslyn, set Mort loose, and lured him around with food.
[16]

They probably found that bowl somewhere nearby, they aren't going to truck that up from storage in Hollywood. A local woodturner may have been the maker of the bowl. Maybe. Or <shudder> the old Pier 1 Imports store.

A few years after the show ended, the town folk still considered the town a live set, just waiting for production to return. My wife and I toured through it once on our way to Seattle, it's off I-90 in the Cascade Mountains. We stuck our heads into the town bar expecting to see the set from the show, but it wasn't the same. Bar scenes were from the Redmond sound stage. The storefront radio station set was still there.

There is a commercial running right now that shows a big cherry natural edge bowl on the coffee table. I guess the commercial doesn't work because I can't remember what they are selling. LOL

Back