• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood finds this last month

Last month I bought a cub cadet tractor with 20 hours on it from the owner of the fix it shop were I bought my log splitter, and take lawn mower for repair. One day 2 years ago after they did some free work for me I gave them a business card holder and then he knew I turned. While there last month the owner said "do you want some maple or ash they are clearing and cutting for firewood at my house.?" He gave me directions, and I came back to his shop and said "Steve-I am drooling. You have the most gorgeous ambrosia maple." Long trees were just lying there-some even propped up a little for easy cutting. He said "get your chain saw and have at her". I went home and got the van and saw, spent 2 hours cutting 18-20" diameter stuff and put 14 18" length logs in the van. Spent 5 hours the next day cutting it all up and sealing. He has already got a thin small bowl from the outer slabs. His wife saw it and put in an order for 3 more-one each of the children for xmas made from the homestead. They are 10" barked wood with a little of the ambrosia streaks which are more prominent more centrally. He has those already.
Then yesterday, my neighbor had his work man trimming the trees on my boundary and there were a few small bk walnut pieces-nice for natural edge. Then I heard him trimming in the front of the other neighbors house. Had a branch go down there 2 yrs ago with nice ambrosia streaks. So I went over and besides some nice small 10-14 inch diameter ambrosia, They cut down a burl, perfectly formed on a 4 " branch that was bigger than a basketball. MY chores for cutting/splitting firewood on that glorious weather day was abandoned, and I cut up all the limbs and sealed. got 3 nice slabs of the burl, but will be patient for it to dry a little. Beautiful black streaks in the white wood. I won't send pics as my dial up is too tedious and having terrible problems with it now. Now-"so much wood, so little time" Part time work and starting my first baby sitting hours Monday with the new granddaughter as well as some wood sales/craft sales are interfering. Nice problems I am having!!!!:DGretch

Nice score Gretch :)

It's one of the great things about turning: you can go from a raw lump of timber to the finished product with pretty much only one machine.

... well, a chainsaw is a garden tool ain't it :D

nice catch, sometimes things just come our way, this is a good period for finding wood, with the gas coming back down i may just be able to ride around the neighborhood now :D

found wood

Gretch, sometimes finding wood is as much fun as turning

this last saturday after Lynwood Artist meeting, Terry Mitchell and i picked up some wood from a former student of his, Gail, thanks Gail(she is moving to California), we got some cherry, redwood, and i believe beech??? it has a paper like bark

today i heard the chainsaws going so i headed over that way, got some southern red oak, i put it up in my barrels for next year :D

i only sled about 5 feet down muddy hill getting wood to truck!! :eek:

Attachments

• maybe beech.JPG
    maybe beech.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 35
  • oak1a1.JPG
    oak1a1.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 38
  • oak2a2.JPG
    oak2a2.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 43
  • barrels.JPG
    barrels.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 40
Great haul Gretch. Looks like you will be busy for awhile. Would like to see what you make of the burl.

burl

Great haul Gretch. Looks like you will be busy for awhile. Would like to see what you make of the burl.

Bernie-made a 9"x2" 3/8" thick shallow bowl and because of my terrible dial up-often get kicked off the internet 3-4x before I can even get email. One day I will splurge and get cable. DSL not available yet in my location. Maybe I'll get energetic and at least try to photo. But here is a description:
The bowl color/figure is in quadrants. The 2 white sides have alot of figure in them. The other 2 sides have lots of dark brown spots in the white background, and eyes in the center. It is drying on my "finish". table. Gretch

Gretch I know the feeling. We just got DSL in town. I got hooked up and just can't believe the difference. Sounds like you did some nice turnings.

alas

Spent 5 hours , getting near done when I made the final pass yesterday on a 14 inch (huge for me) gorgeous ambrosia markings bowl, and the damn thing exploded out the top side from a ring shake I knew was there. The cracks showed up early but I managed to work 5 hours on it before it blew. I was sad. BTW Masking tape, and super glue doesn;t prevent it!!!!! :eek: Gretch

Back