• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood ID and Some Advice

I just cut down this tree. Picture This isn't much help as it comes up with something different every time I take a pic. The tree is... well, lumpy on the exterior. Any ideas?
IMG_20231114_141941.jpg IMG_20231114_142835.jpg

Now to the advice. I started on half of that burl. I've not done burl turnings up to now. Would you consider leaving this as-is, or take the exterior all the way down to smooth out the burl? I don't want to lose too much more diameter if I can help it.

IMG_20231114_145253.jpg

I'd leave it like that if that's what you like. Gives it character and if it doesn't survive for whatever reason remember mother nature is always making more trees. Plenty of practice out there.

Can't advise re Burl, but the wood appears to be some variety of fruit wood (Apple, Pear, something like that) would be my best guess.

I thought so, too. The trunk is mostly straight with only one fork in the trunk. I don't have much experience with fruit trees but most seem to have a cluster of branches coming off the trunk.

Unfortunately, no. The ground is covered in leaves of all kinds. This is the best picture I could get with my phone.

IMG_20231115_172117.jpg

The pattern seems consistent with elm.

Back