• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

wood needed

If you read any of my other fourms you know that I am new to this. I need some nice wood blanks that would be good for beginers. Where can I get them?

where to find wood blanks

If new to turning and probably cutting blanks yourself, you can always buy them. But, they are expensive at places like Woodcraft etc. You can check your local AAW chapter, some of your friends there may have some to sell or direction on how and where to buy. I have had good success with purchases from ebay for good prices. If interested, I have a guy I particularly like who has a continuous supply of bowl blanks and who deals on ebay but will also sell out right to you. Many of his blanks are already dry or nearly dry. I am currently going through all this myself since I just started turning in Jan! But loving it so far. Email me direct if you want some of the sources I have used for bowl blanks. But there are most likely an infinite number of places you can get them. Gary

Local Hardwood Suppliers

Fly
Until you learn to slab blanks from a log with your chainsaw (a job I still don't like, bbut the best material is often free along the side of the road) look in your phone book under Hardwood Supplier or Mill. They will have material from 1 to 2 inches thick. Pick out some maple or walnut or a local wood for reasonable prices. Start with small bowls, say 6" in diameter and 1.75 to 2 tall. As you improve you can get bigger in both directions. Cut the planks wisely so you end up with some spindle squares to.
Frank

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I started with maple from the fire wood pile... still would do that, if I had any maple left!

Free Wood - Local

Fly,

All you need do is call a couple of tree service outfits in your area and ask them 1) if they have a pile that you could pull a few pieces out of or 2) where and what they have planned for cutting and if they would mind if you stopped by and took some of the wood. Hint here, if you return them a couple of bowls, it not unlikely that they'll start dropping free wood off in your driveway!!

As a beginner, look for fresh-cut poplar as there's no better wood to learn on, but stay away from the really hard stuff like oak, hickory, and Osage until you get some experience. The tree guys are always looking to get rid of stuff they take down.

You can also contact your municipal public works dept. as they're often clearing stuff, and have a log dump where they'll allow you to take as much as you want. You will, however, need a chain saw as they won't slice 'n dice for you.

Good Luck

M

Last edited:
Website
www.ispinwood.com
There have already been lots of good suggestions here and it's hard to add anything more. My one bit of advise I have is contrary to Mark's. I recommend trying any species you can get your hands on. Geen wood, dry wood, it doesn't matter. I think this is the best way to learn what the differences are and gain quick expertise. Don't get to critical with your results. Don't even expect a result every time. Think of it as making chips. After a couple months of this you'll be way ahead of the game when you try a refined project. With this kind of experience you'll also discover how to make good use of poor quality wood. You'll soon be creating items of wonderful expressiveness at little or no material costs.

- Scott

what end of the world do you live in? if anywhere near the Olympic peninsula of Washington, you can drop by my wood pile and I'll help you find some good starter stock.
Roger Dunn

Ordinary southern yellow pine is good practice wood, and readily available free from the scrap pile at home building sites. You can glue some pieces to make whatever type blank you want. Pine can actually be a bit challenging due to the extreme disparity in hardness between the summer wood and winter wood. It can be frustrating, and can also make you a more skilled and confident turner.

If you have a chainsaw, I found any wood that's not rotten is nice to learn on. I've used green cherry, oak, hickory, and walut. I've also thought about taking a bow saw for a nice Sunday drive with my wife. If there is a downed tree on a slow road, I can cut a few pieces from a branch!

Well if we knew where you are at it would help. If your in easter ohio or western pa. come on by. I just hauled home some ash today and lord only knows whats laying around the shop.

Dudley said:
If you have a chainsaw, I found any wood that's not rotten is nice to learn on. I've used green cherry, oak, hickory, and walut. I've also thought about taking a bow saw for a nice Sunday drive with my wife. If there is a downed tree on a slow road, I can cut a few pieces from a branch!

Ilove walnut, its my favorite type of wood.

Thanks everyone for offering to help

But I live in colombus Ohio. And I cant drive because im only 15.

Back