• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood River 4 Jaw Chuck

Looking for info on this Woodcraft chuck. Does anyone know the size and TPI of the chuck body? Mine has an adapter for a 1" spindle and I'd like to adapt it to 1 1/4". Also, anyone have a manual or parts diagram? Thanks in advance for any info you might share.

It is probably a WoodRiver chuck, that's the house brand. But nope I was not able to find a manual on line. It did take inserts so if it has an adapter to go on a 1" spindle, you may got lucky and find that it is 1 1/4" body. Also try calling Woodcraft Customer Service. They may have a paper copy of the manual they could scan and send you.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I would not recommend a tommy bar chuck. Look for something with a key.
Hmm to each their own, I suppose. I got a PSI Barracuda as a second chuck (with extra jaws) to supplement my original (no-name import) that came with my used HF lathe, which was a Tommy Bar chuck. I find that I actually prefer the tommy bar chuck over the key style.

Oddly enough, appears my no-name tommy bar chuck (with just one set of dovetail jaws) appears to have an insert so I could just get an insert (assuming I can find any) - However, I strongly suspect , given what I believe of Wood River brand's origins, it probably would use the same insert as my no-name chuck does, so probably most any generic brand adapter would fit - I do believe (Hockenberry may know) One Way has a very nice adapter that can put a 1 inch chuck onto a 1-1/4 lathe spindle....

I would not recommend a tommy bar chuck. Look for something with a key.
I’m with you there. The first time I used mine I was holding the bowl with one had and squeezed the bars with my other hand and bent the bars. Once I bought a Chuck with a key I have never gone back to the Tommy bar Chuck.

Hmm to each their own, I suppose. I got a PSI Barracuda as a second chuck (with extra jaws) to supplement my original (no-name import) that came with my used HF lathe, which was a Tommy Bar chuck. I find that I actually prefer the tommy bar chuck over the key style.

Oddly enough, appears my no-name tommy bar chuck (with just one set of dovetail jaws) appears to have an insert so I could just get an insert (assuming I can find any) - However, I strongly suspect , given what I believe of Wood River brand's origins, it probably would use the same insert as my no-name chuck does, so probably most any generic brand adapter would fit - I do believe (Hockenberry may know) One Way has a very nice adapter that can put a 1 inch chuck onto a 1-1/4 lathe spindle....
I suspect the size of work has more to do with preference than just random personal preference. No way can I load a 75 lb block of maple and have 2 free hands to tighten the chuck. For your mushrooms and mortar and pestle work, it's a much different story.

I have a Woodriver chuck and the insert is for 1 1/4" X 8. The insert was first sold for Nova chucks (and they didn't cost much) but they did not work very well for the Nova chuck. Somehow I ended up with about 7 or 8 of the inserts. When I picked up the Woodriver that chuck used these inserts and unlike when used on the Nova the Woodriver with the cheap insert runs perfectly (less than .001 runout). I have a half dozen or so Tommy Bar chucks and I use them. If you have a spindle lock it is actually faster than a geared chuck. Here's a pic of the back of the Woodriver chuck and 2 of the 1 1/4" inserts. If you need one you can pay shipping and I'll send you one.

Attachments

• Woodriver.JPG
    Woodriver.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 20
It is probably a WoodRiver chuck, that's the house brand. But nope I was not able to find a manual on line. It did take inserts so if it has an adapter to go on a 1" spindle, you may got lucky and find that it is 1 1/4" body. Also try calling Woodcraft Customer Service. They may have a paper copy of the manual they could scan and send you.
Thanks, I called Woodcraft and they know absolutely nothing about the chuck and have no manual. I just need to determine the threads on the chuck body so I can find the correct insert.

I have a Woodriver chuck and the insert is for 1 1/4" X 8. The insert was first sold for Nova chucks (and they didn't cost much) but they did not work very well for the Nova chuck. Somehow I ended up with about 7 or 8 of the inserts. When I picked up the Woodriver that chuck used these inserts and unlike when used on the Nova the Woodriver with the cheap insert runs perfectly (less than .001 runout). I have a half dozen or so Tommy Bar chucks and I use them. If you have a spindle lock it is actually faster than a geared chuck. Here's a pic of the back of the Woodriver chuck and 2 of the 1 1/4" inserts. If you need one you can pay shipping and I'll send you one.

I'll gladly buy one from you and pay shipping as well. Text me at eight zero 6; 438; seven zero 1 eight and I'll send you my address and arrange to pay you. Thanks a bunch for your reply and for your help!

The probable reason that Woodcraft doesn't have any information is that, in the time I've been turning - about 6 years - I've only found Nova chucks in the 2 Woodcraft stores I am closest to. They sell quite a few Woodriver turning tools and other lathe accessories, but not Woodriver chucks. Maybe it's from the past.

Looking for info on this Woodcraft chuck. Does anyone know the size and TPI of the chuck body? Mine has an adapter for a 1" spindle and I'd like to adapt it to 1 1/4". Also, anyone have a manual or parts diagram? Thanks in advance for any info you might share.
Woodcraft sells inserts for chucks. I use both tommy bar and keyed chucks. No problem with either.

I suspect the size of work has more to do with preference than just random personal preference. No way can I load a 75 lb block of maple and have 2 free hands to tighten the chuck. For your mushrooms and mortar and pestle work, it's a much different story.
I like the one tommy bar chuck I've got. If your lathe has a spindle lock that can be set and stays on (like Robust) tommy bar chucks are simple, one-handed operations. Granted, mine is relatively small so a 75lb blank may be at the top of its range, but I find it great for anything about 12" and smaller., and almost any size spindle is easily accommodated. Its a Oneway and takes any of the Talon jaw sets.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I know a couple of production turners who like the tommy bar chuck for speed.
Spindle locked one hand holding the blank or bowl the other hand operates a a long handled tommy bar with one push or one pull

I much prefer a key and of the keys I like the hex key.

Back