• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood size for threads?

Okay a technical question. If I’m going to make a lidded box and going to make the lid threaded, what size do I make the outside and inside diameter of the box and lid for threads to work. I understand for each size of thread it’s going to vary, but is there a formula or a chart out there that will give me something to start working off of ?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If you are using a tap and die you make them to the size for those

If you are hand chasing threads or using one of the thread cutters
Virtually any size but 1/2” to 4” diameters are the easiest.
The after the make or female section is done one is cut measure the and add the thread depth for the male or subtract the thread depth for the female.

I usually add a bit more and just cut until the fit.

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
You would think it would be a science but much depends on your threading style and how you measure. I believe making the tenon equal to the recess plus 75% of the thread size will get you close with a bit of a margin of error. Thread size for 1/16" would be .0625 so I would add .047" to the inside thread measurement. Allan Batty demonstrated an alternative approach to actually measuring in his video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iEd0kD0S4&t=210s

The after the make or female section is done one is cut measure the and add the thread depth for the male or subtract the thread depth for the female.
Al,
This sentence seems like it would be a big part of your recommendation, but I can't quite extract the meaning. Would you try typing again? thanks.

And thanks to Glenn for asking this. I haven't yet taken up thread chasing, but I'm gonna give it a go this winter and this is one of my big questions.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Al,
This sentence seems like it would be a big part of your recommendation, but I can't quite extract the meaning. Would you try typing again? thanks.

And thanks to Glenn for asking this. I haven't yet taken up thread chasing, but I'm gonna give it a go this winter and this is one of my big questions.
I was scratching my head and kept reading it, I need some clarification too... @hockenbery

I use a jig so if I start with a 2" hole I touch and then go in .040 in two cuts (the end of the threads are now 2.080"). Now to make the male threads I start with the wood at 2.070" and take two cuts in, one at .020 and the second at .015 total of .070". This should give you a perfectly threaded connection.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Okay a technical question. If I’m going to make a lidded box and going to make the lid threaded, what size do I make the outside and inside diameter of the box and lid for threads to work. I understand for each size of thread it’s going to vary, but is there a formula or a chart out there that will give me something to start working off of ?
Glenn, the video that Mike Peace recommendend is by far the best one on thread chasing. You do not need to be an engineer to chase threads. Allan shows you a simple an efficient way of fitting the lid without using calipers or a gauge. Your first step if you want to get into thread chasing is to watch that video 5 times.

Back