• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood sources near Williamsport PA this weekend

Website
insportsphoto.com
We are in Williamsport PA for Thanksgiving day weekend. Is there anywhere in or around Williamsport where I can find maple turning blanks on the cheap? I'd rather not pay the high prices of Rockler (but I will of course be visiting them today or tomorrow) for a few blanks. I have snowmen to turn over the next 2 weeks and thought there might be a cheap source around here since the is so much forest in the area as opposed to our hometown of Fort Wayne, IN.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'll probably remove this post Sunday, once we head home.

John

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
There's a sawmill called Ironwood Acres (They have a youtube channel too) somewhere near Williamsport- they might have something there. I also know of a lumber yard in Wellsboro (about an hour -ish north on U.S. 15, then U.S. 6) and another hour or so on U.S. 6 from there, you could pick over my pile of Walnut , Cherry and Ash (but it is all Green).. and just a bit further, there's Allegany Lumber & Trim (Can't recall his phone #) Those are all I can think of off the top of my head.. But if I was looking for some dried 8/4 (or 10/4 or 12/4) I'd probably go check out C.R. Muterspaw online.. but pretty much all of em are probably too much out of the way except that first mill I mentioned.

Website
insportsphoto.com
There's a sawmill called Ironwood Acres (They have a youtube channel too) somewhere near Williamsport- they might have something there. I also know of a lumber yard in Wellsboro (about an hour -ish north on U.S. 15, then U.S. 6) and another hour or so on U.S. 6 from there, you could pick over my pile of Walnut , Cherry and Ash (but it is all Green).. and just a bit further, there's Allegany Lumber & Trim (Can't recall his phone #) Those are all I can think of off the top of my head.. But if I was looking for some dried 8/4 (or 10/4 or 12/4) I'd probably go check out C.R. Muterspaw online.. but pretty much all of em are probably too much out of the way except that first mill I mentioned.
Thanks Brian. I appreciate the advice and the offer to pick through your wood. Normally, whenever visit, we try to drive up Pine Creek/Waterville and work our way north towards your area but I don't think we'll have time this trip. I used to work for Soldiers & Sailors in Wellsboro as a Paramedic. She's from Jersey Shore originally and we met when I moved to Williamsport from Wyoming to attend Paramedic School almost 30 years ago. We love driving up in that area to take in the beauty. Landed in Indiana decades ago. Great job opportunities in Fort Wayne and the economy has always been great. But, it's freaking ugly. Nothing like God's Country.

Website
insportsphoto.com
Btw, very nice website. I love the clean look!

Back