• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

woodburning

Is the Detail Master IV sabre electronic woodburning system with 100 watts of power strong enough to get deep burns into a wood bowl like oak or maple?
I have some good ideas on implimenting designs into some of my bowls to give them some pesaz. Thanks

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Is the Detail Master IV sabre electronic woodburning system with 100 watts of power strong enough to get deep burns into a wood bowl like oak or maple?
I have some good ideas on implimenting designs into some of my bowls to give them some pesaz. Thanks

Hello Gary.......

The Detail Master IV sabre woodburning tool is what I have.

It has been my intent to do some decorative burning into some of my bowls.....but, all I've ever used it for, so far, is some lettering. The tips will get hot enough to char the wood completely, so I suspect the DM IV will do whatever you wish in the way of decorative burning.

In the past, I've had one of those cheap woodburning tools that take forever to really make a dark impression.......this is nothing like that. The DM will burn the wood quickly with a slight touch of the pen point.

Below is a couple of examples of my lettering:

ooc

Attachments

• Silver Maple #614 tribute bowl for Zee's three daughters (2).jpg
    Silver Maple #614 tribute bowl for Zee's three daughters (2).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Sassafras #649 (2).jpg
    Sassafras #649 (2).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 96
Hello Gary.......

The Detail Master IV sabre woodburning tool is what I have.

It has been my intent to do some decorative burning into some of my bowls.....but, all I've ever used it for, so far, is some lettering. The tips will get hot enough to char the wood completely, so I suspect the DM IV will do whatever you wish in the way of decorative burning.

In the past, I've had one of those cheap woodburning tools that take forever to really make a dark impression.......this is nothing like that. The DM will burn the wood quickly with a slight touch of the pen point.

Below is a couple of examples of my lettering:

ooc

Your lettering really loks like some nice calligraphy, did you take some training in callagraphy? Being an art teacher, I have had all of that stuff and really enjoyed lettering. I did a lot in college but never tried it in woodburning. Thanks for your help.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Your lettering really loks like some nice calligraphy, did you take some training in callagraphy? Being an art teacher, I have had all of that stuff and really enjoyed lettering. I did a lot in college but never tried it in woodburning. Thanks for your help.

Thanks, Gary......

No formal training, but I did purchase a "how-to" booklet on calligraphy, and did some practice on paper before I tried it on wood. I used a tip that is similar to the "chisel" point that is held at an angle, similar to that which is used for calligraphy. One thing that is nice about the Detail Master IV, is it does get hot enough that your hand can flow pretty nicely......almost as fast (but not quite), as if you were actually doing this with pen on paper.

One thing I found to be lacking, is the rubber grip of the handle doesn't insulate it from the heat as well as it should. This is insignificant, as it's pretty easy to add some auxiliary insulation of your choice......

ooc

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The Detail Master is probably the best one out there -- I have been very pleased with mine. There are many different tips so get the ones that suit your particular needs. The best ones are those with tips and handles as an integral unit.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don't know what unit Dixie Bigg's has but she uses it to carve with. I have the Optima. I purchased it partly because the pens supposedly stay cooler than some of the other brands. I don't know for sure but they certainly run cooler than the Colewood pens I had with that unit.
If you really want to carve with the pens instead of just doing Calligraphy and standard Pyrography drawing then you should look at building one of the wood vaporizers that Greame Priddle makes from a battery charger. That thing has the power to get rid of wood fast. You can probably find plans by doing some google searches. I'll look for the plans later and see if I can post them.
I haven't built one yet. I purchased a charger but it just hasn't been a high priority thing yet.

Back