• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodcraft Slow Speed Grinder

Have any of the rest of you owners of the woodcraft slow speed grinder, noticed, as I have, that their wheels load up with metal shavings very quickly? Is it he wheels they use, or what? Anybody know?

And, using the Wolverine single point diamond dresser, it takes a while to clean the wheels, the setup & cleaning. Too long to suit me.

Thanks

Grinding wheel dressing

I have the same grinder, and yes the wheels do load up quickly.

I haven't noticed a big difference in how long they take to load up vs. the pink or blue wheels. However the white color makes the wheel look "dirtier" much faster than the other colors.

I have acquired a rectangular diamond wheel dresser (this one is made by commando products, but there are other brands that are similiar). It does a quick job of exposing clean grit. It also creates a generally flat and square surface. As I recall, it was not expensive.

Use this type of dresser (in combination with using the wolverine truing jig when necessary ) to keep your wheels in good shape without spending excessive time tuning your grinder.

-jeff

Lopsided base

What I noticed when I went to put the Wolverine on mine was that the base casting was not even. The right wheel was exactly 1/2 inch lower than the left one. I could not even slide the shapening base under the wheel. Had to put a 1/8 inch shim between motor and base to make it work. I left the right wheel alone but replace the left with a 80 grit blue wheel from Woodcraft and it works well.

Vernon

Ditto for what Jeff said. The wheels on the Woodcraft grinder are actually a decent grit and so they will load up pretty quickly. This is actually pretty normal. It's why having a dresser is so important.

dietrich

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use the inexpensive T shaped diamond cleaner from Woodcraft. It works really well. Also gets rid on any ruts created by the tools.

The slow speed Woodcraft grinder is a good deal at thier sale price, which they run about 5 months of the year. Yep the white wheels show the dirt quick but I think they still cut find until they get real bad and by then you have lost the nice flat wheel face. I to have the cheap t-shaped diamond dresser works quick and well.
Frank

I was completely disapointed in the wolverine diamond point dresser. I have a t-shape dresser from Packard and am very pleased.
Stuart

I've got the Woodcraft slow speed grinder, the Wolvering jig system and the T-shaped diamond dresser from Packard. I can't see how the single point wheel dressers can truly square up the wheel. I'm happy with the whole setup but I will put on better wheels when the existing ones wear out.

I put a Norton wheel on my Woodcraft grinder and I don't see any significant difference in the way the wheels load. They do get "dirty" quite rapidly but clean quickly with the T- dresser.

Jake Debski said:
I put a Norton wheel on my Woodcraft grinder and I don't see any significant difference in the way the wheels load. They do get "dirty" quite rapidly but clean quickly with the T- dresser.

How "dirty" do you let the wheels get before you use a diamond dresser to clean them?

W.C. Turner said:
How "dirty" do you let the wheels get before you use a diamond dresser to clean them?

It's more of roughness factor than just being "dirty." I can't articulate it very well, but when you sharpen say a fingernail grind bowl gouge. After many sharpenings you get to know the feel of grinder and tool when it is right. If the wheel is not quite right you will feel it and it's time to clean and true the wheel. You will also see and feel the differance in the cut and duration of the edge on the wood. Hope this makes some sense. :) I don't have any diffinitive e.g., "you clean after every 12 grindings, etc.", answer.

Back