• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

woodfast bearings

Where could i find spindle bearings for a woodfast shortbed lathe? I bought the lathe a year ago knowing I might have to replace them but I didn't get a book on it. Thanks Gary

Bearing Replacement

Bearings come in standard sizes. If you remove the old bearings and take them to a bearing store they can replace them. In some cases they may have to order them, but often not. "Bearings" is a standard Yellow Pages category. I am sure there on-line possibilities as well. Bearings come in different grades; the people at the store can help you choose the best grade.

Stuart Lilie

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Gary:

I have had good luck getting bearings through eBay using 'bobhill5' as the seller, also known as "Bearing Bargains". His eBay store has a listing of standard bearing sizes and numbers, and at the very least can be used as a quick reference to standard bearing numbers. His prices are reasonable and the quality of the bearings are quite good; I only have purchased the "higher end" bearings from him, but they worked just fine in my repair of an old Delta 46-525 headstock, and in two other power tools I've reconditioned, and a set of bearings for in-line skate wheels I bought to build a steady rest. Bob's shipping is also quite quick - as I recall I received them within a few days each time I ordered; he's located in northern Ohio.

You can have a look at his eBay page HERE*.

Just another possible source for what you are looking for. I have no affiliation with him other than being a satisfied customer.

Good luck!

Rob Wallace

*OK - So I just checked eBay (2 pm CST, 24 Jan 2010) for 'bobhill5', and it appears he does not currently have items for sale, nor is his on-line store open... this is news to me.... perhaps he's on vacation or taking a break from selling. This is a disappointment because his eBay Store pages were so helpful! If you need the bearings immediately, it might be best to go to another source.....or send an e-mail and see if Bob replies.

Last edited:
Website
www.cwsonline.com.au
As others have indicated go to your local bearing supplier as they will be standard of the shelf bearings and cheaper than going to woodfast to buy theirs.

As with most consumable parts generally cheaper to go to a local supplier.

Belts and bearings are usually readily available as most dont use anything fancy they cant source themselves.

Back