• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturner-friendly truck/vehicle

Thank you everyone for all of this helpful information. It's invaluable to be reminded that there is no right answer except for making it work. If the right truck comes around I will go for it, but I think I could be just as successful with a wagon or SUV and a trailer hitch for larger jobs.

I'm a big fan of a good truck and a well equipped trailer - preferably with a log arch and winch to load. Still, I have neither. What I do use is a 2006 Honda Element with no back seats. My wife bought this abomination of a car to haul gardening stuff. When we started to rescue large dogs (greyhounds) the interior height was perfect for them. It has become my go to utility vehicle when I really don't care what goes inside it. Do I need to cut logs into turning blanks in the field - yes. Will it hold a pile of them? Yes. The mighty four cylinder engine powers undersized wheels through a 3-speed gearbox that, with a centrifical clutch doubles as a transfer case. This thing has never once been stuck in the snow. Mud is a different story, but I'm just careful...it gets good mileage and has never been in the shop (yet) with nearly 200K on the odometer.
Is it classy? Do I look like an avid logger when I snow up to harvest whatever I can? No. Does it get the job done....oh yeah. Here it is after limbing our yard...Honda w Limbs.jpg

Back