• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning as a useful hobby that contributes to the community

This year I started real woodturning, despite having a midi lathe for years. I'm glad I bought a good one (Jet 1221VS) because I haven't had to deal with a bad tool when trying to learn bowl-turning. My efforts are paying off more than I ever expected. My bowls are very simple, of modest wood that I had laying around, but holy cow! what great responses I get when people see them. Today I donated a dozen or so to a charity supporting Charcot Marie Tooth disease, and they raised over $200! So many people complimented me on them; I was embarrassed.

Currently, I don't have much interest in making the sorts of complicated art pieces that grace the photo galleries, but the feedback I'm getting will keep me going and trying to improve and enlarge my skill set. Also, thanks to all of you forum posters for giving such good advice and opinions without resorting to flaming and thread hijacking. You all keep to the point and leave the BS out.

John -
Best of luck to you in your continuing journey. But, I don't believe luck has as much to do with it- as does perseverance and a desire to learn. Clearly - you have that. It takes all of us make a community work as well as this forum does. Even with our difference in style and taste or what we like to do on a lathe...there is plenty of room for feeling accepted and to contribute to the group. I hope you feel comfortable with that and will continue to learn and turn in the direction that your imagination takes you.:)

I have always preferred the basic bowl shape, with no coloring or little detail. A potter friend once said, and I could tell he was trying to be polite, "all of your bowls are so utilitarian". I said "yup!" If they look too pretty, they don't get used, and I want mine to be used daily....

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Our club in Crossville donates Wig stands and Beads of Courage boxes. We also sell Christmas ornaments to raise money for our local charities. Last year we sold $13,000 worth of ornaments. The guys all got carried away and turned 900 ornaments. Not bad for a club of 35 people.

We also sell Christmas ornaments to raise money for our local charities. Last year we sold $13,000 worth of ornaments. The guys all got carried away and turned 900 ornaments. Not bad for a club of 35 people.

Sure wouldn't get an average of $145.00 per ornament in Kansas.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
we sell all price ranges. I make some really simple ones we sell for $5. they go up to $35 but not too many at that price range. The $35 ones should sell for $50 or $60 in a real market.

Back