• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning at the V & A

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Thanks for posting the link John. The article is a good read — and the pieces of your's pictured in the article are beautiful (as usual). Congrat's on being recognized by one of the world's greatest museums of art & design!

I've been to London twice in my life, and visits to the V & A were among my favorite outings on each visit (although the British Museum is great too). On my last visit two years ago, I went to the V & A twice. Places like the V & A, the British Museum, and New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art are overwhelming in the sheer volume of things to view, but they are great sources of design inspiration. You can get lots of ideas for woodturning form and texture from ancient/medieval/modern/etc. pottery, sculpture, furniture, and now, contemporary wood art. I take along a digital camera that can take pictures in relatively low light (without a flash, since that'll bring the guards down on you). To anyone who's never been to these places, they are definitely worth a visit.

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Yep, the V&A is an awesome place. I got to go into the "back" of the museum. I've been in quite a few, but that place is huge.

I should have said in the original post that Glenn Adamson was one of the authors of "Woodturning in N. America Since 1930" if one has an interest in the historical aspects of what we do.

John

Thanks for the link, John, things are looking up

Congratulations Jphn.
I admire how carefull you build up your form to make it communicate softly with the soft , nice wood.
Tou are one of my gavourite woodturners!
Squirrel

Back