• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning Cruise 2023

What @Dave Hulett said :)

Can't go this year, but I actually emailed them about planning to take this cruise in ~2025. The reply back said the organizer was thinking about retiring so this may be the last year you can learn about turning while viewing the fjords :(

One of the great experiences for a woodturner. It was on my bucket list that got ticked off with the last cruise.

I didn't go on it to turn wood, so I didn't, or to take lessons (too late for me for that), but I spent a lot of time talking to the very best woodturners (you get a lot of time to do that over 12 days) and had a thoroughly enjoyable time doing so. The scenery and ports of call were all magnificent, the mealtimes onboard enjoyable and the company always convivial.

My wife, who is not a woodturner, came with me and she also had a wonderful time. We are not cruise boat type people but the small size of the boat and the unpretentious atmosphere onboard was much more suited us.

If I hadn't managed it last time I would be putting up my hand to join you this time Andy.

Attachments

• IMG_8391 - to Mosjøen.JPG
    IMG_8391 - to Mosjøen.JPG
    513.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Website
www.turnrobust.com
We've went twice, great experience. Small boat, unpretentious, and lots of opportunities to rub elbows with some of the greats. If you haven't been to Norway, this is also a great way to get to know this wonderful clean, safe and storied country. Not many cabins left ! I highly recommend it. Andy would be a good guy to room with too :)

An observation for anyone who is considering the few remaining cabins of which there are some that are inside without a window, like on Deck E. Inside cabins without a window are usually considered less desirable on cruises, but at the time of year and scheduled destinations we found an inside cabin was in fact an advantage because of the long daylight hours near and above the arctic circle...

As you leave Stavanger the sun will be up shortly after 4am and not set until just before 11pm and the nautical twilight will lasts all night. At Namsos the sun will rise at 2.30am and set at midnight with the twilight extending throughout the short 'night'. By the time you get to your most northerly destination at Honningsvåg on the 25 June, which is 500km above the Arctic Circle, the sun will not set and will not do so again until 20th Sept!

We were more than happy to sleep in an inside cabin that didn't have a window that let in all that sunlight 24hrs a day. And, when you don't want to be sleeping there are ample lounge areas with good outlooks in various places onboard that are always open if and whenever you want to do that.

Back