• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning Cruise

KEW

Any fellow turners out there in AAW land going on the woodturning cruise? Guess you better PM me so we don't upset all the other turners talking about all the fun we are going to have:cool2:

Mike

IIRC, the trip is out of Norway?
I get queasy just thinking about what that would cost with today's dollar if it is converted to Kroners!

Any fellow turners out there in AAW land going on the woodturning cruise? Guess you better PM me so we don't upset all the other turners talking about all the fun we are going to have:cool2:

Mike

Mike, where can I find the particulars about this cruise?

Thanks.

Thanks, Mike.

Wonder if AAW could put together a cruise? I think that would be great--demos, discussion classes, info classes sponsored by tool and machine manufacturers, finish producers, accessories manufacturers, etc. Demos in the morning, classes in the afternoon (before the cocktail hour).

These people would have a captive audience to which they could "sell" their products.

I think it would work.

Mexico doesn't excite me. But any of the others, depending on the time of year.

pictures

It is only once every four years, and it is sold out

we want pictures, be really nice to have daily :D

Mike Gibson

Recognized Professional Artist
Website
www.michaelgibsonwoodturner.homesteadcloud.com
Daily

"we want pictures, be really nice to have daily "

Would have loved to, but had to sell my laptop to go on the cruise. Maybe l can do one of those Andi Wolf epic novels :) when l get back. (a little shorter though) Have a half decent camera so should get some good pics.

Considering this forum is read around the world I am amazed that l have not heard from one woodturner that is going, and it was this forum where l first read about the trip.

Mike.

I'm starting a savings account

The price US isn't that bad. My wife goes to Iris conventions for that amount. I'll shoot for a year or two OR if the association does one of it's own. Are the instructions in English on the cruise?

An AAW Cruise would be great

The problem with the cruise in Norway (in addition to the cost of getting there) is that is was on a very small ship, which greatly limited the number who could attend. A cruise sponsored by AAW could be on a much larger and more modern ship, allowing many more of us to attend.

A year ago, my wife and I went on a cruise to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary. It just so happened that half the people on the ship were part of a "craft cruise", hosted by some women who has a craft show on cable TV. They held craft events -- demos, lectures, workshops, etc. -- on the days the ship was not in port. (My wife was jealous that she couldn't attend the craft events. We hadn't booked our cruise through the craft show.) This allowed the cruisers to have three full days of craft stuff while not missing anything in the 3 ports we visited. On port days, they may have had something in the evening. Something similar should work for us turners.

As for location, I'd suggest the Mexican Riviera (West coast) in the early Fall because it's generally cheaper than Alaska or the Caribbean.

Back