• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning Curriculum?

Hi,
I have taught Carpentry in public school for 24 years. There is a chance that I will be allowed to offer a woodturning class to my students sometime over the next few years. To make this happen, a detailed curriculum would have to be submitted. If there are any curriculum's aready out, it would save me from having to create a new one. I would appreciate any help in this area.
Thanks,
Jack Mincey

Jack,

I would think a google search of the term would come up with some, or look up some woodturning schools like Arrowmont and see what they have posted for their course. It would take some modifying but would be a great place to start. Good luck with this, coming from a 31 year veteren teacher, most of those in "wood shop".

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
flyrod444 said:
Hi,
I have taught Carpentry in public school for 24 years. There is a chance that I will be allowed to offer a woodturning class to my students sometime over the next few years. To make this happen, a detailed curriculum would have to be submitted. If there are any curriculum's aready out, it would save me from having to create a new one. I would appreciate any help in this area.
Thanks,
Jack Mincey
Do a search for "Jack Grube," who in MY mind is the KING of all WOOD shop teachers. He runs the program at Pinkerton academy in Derry NH. He is ACTIVE in promoting woodworking in schools and runs a remarkable turning program at his school.
He can help you, I am sure.
Tell him George suggested you contact him. He will either thank me or kill me, he IS a busy and involved husband, father, teacher and I don't know what else, but a really GREAT human.

woodturning course

you might want to use "WOODTURNING, A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley

it was used by the course i took, chapters on
trees and wood
woodturning lathe and accessories
tools
sharpening
Laws of woodturning i reread these every once in a while
turning between centers
faceplate turning
etc

i still look back thru it
:D

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Woodturning Curriculum

George, sorry to report that Jack Grube just took a promotion at Pinkerton Academy, and is no longer running the woodshop. :(

They are currently looking for his successor, so if anyone on the list is looking to change their work environment to teaching, should contact him, or the school.

Donna Banfield

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Mark St Leger

Mark St Leger is a very successful woodshop and woodturning teacher in Craig County High School in Virginia. I have sat in on his classes and I have substituted for him. The effect that he has on those young people is remarkable. The AAW knows him as a former member of the Board of Directors. If I were tasked with generating a curriculum for a woodturning program I would start with Mark. He has a keen sense of what can be accomplished with young people in a shop.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Consider books by Mike Darlow as a source for course outlines.

flyrod444 said:
Hi,
Thanks,
Jack Mincey

Jack:

It is assumed that you are looking for some sort of written outline or other listing of topics to be included in a course in woodturning that would be submitted to a school board, principal, or other administrator. I doubt that any of the major turning schools or other places that have organized turning instruction (such as Craft Supples in Utah) have written syllabi that could be used directly in this form, particularly if the syllabus to be submitted needs the (almost required) section(s) on academic outcomes statements and assessment procedures. Most of these places follow a hands-on teaching style, and none that I have ever heard of or inquired about have published syllabi of introductory courses; most cater to intermediate to advanced turners, as far as I know.

I have been reviewing academic curricula for years (although at the University level), and am quite familiar with the general requirements for most curriculum proposals, including the need to provide the required educational jargon to be able to convince people that what is intended to be taught will actually result in student learning (and how you will ultimately document this). The educational goals and how the learning will be accomplished experientially need to be clearly explained in such a proposal, as well as how available 'resources' will accomplish these goals.

I would suggest that you take a look at some of the general woodturning books, and see if their table of contents matches the concepts for what you have in mind to be able to teach a course in woodturning. Keith Rowley's Woodturning: A Foundation Course was suggested in another reply, however in my opinion, the most 'academic' of the available woodturning writers is without doubt, Mike Darlow. If I was in your position having to come up with a syllabus to present to the powers that be, I would construct a general outline or syllabus based on material found in Darlow's Woodturning Techniques or from his earlier books The Practice of of Woodturning or Fundamentals of Woodturning, any of which could be used as a great textbook if one is needed to be identified as part of your proposal. When I teach beginning woodturning, I often rely on Darlow's writing, (and some of his figures) to help allow the students to understand not just how to do a particular technique or cut, but also the theory behind why the technique is done in such a manner. Darlow also approaches turning from a broad perspective, writes clearly, and explains things well. I also suggest that you look at his publications as useful sources of information to put your proposal together, if not follow his books tables of contents to form a basic outline for the turning curriculum you are seeking. I just obtained his new 2-DVD set on turning tool sharpening; it is really an excellent set of lessons on turning and sharpening theory, and provides a great 'learn by watching' review of basic turning theory. I would recommend these DVDs for both students AND the instructor as a well explained and well-illustrated overview of turning theory.

I would be interested to learn what you eventually come up with after you have compiled information from all of the replies here, and what you ultimately submit. If it would help your cause, I'd be happy to comment on your proposal, from a curriculum review standpoint, before it is submitted. (I chair our Biology Curriculum Committee here at Iowa State, have served on a College Curriculum Committee for over 6 years, and have reviewed/commented on high school science curriculum for our local public schools...).

Good luck! - I'm very happy that you are attempting to support teqaching woodturning in schools. I have given some turning demos as a 'guest' instructor in our local high school as part of a general woodworking class, but never as a stand-alone course on turning.

Rob Wallace

Thanks for all the info. Jack Grube has E-mailed me and I hope to call him tomorrow. Rob, I might take you up on your offer when it is all complete. You are right, the more compete the curriculum, better my chances are of making this happen. The crazy thing about this is how it all came about. I did a few demo's on turning game calls and one small hollow form. Students that had been apathetic in the past became very interested and involved. I have four lathes two old rockwell lathes, the clubs jet mini and my personal lathe. Students run in to get on one and wait for one to become free in two of my three classes. One of my students entered two of his bowls in a art show at a local State University and one of his bowls won best in show. I am enjoying their enthusiam. Parents and students are always bringing in green wood so the cost is not an issue. The back of my shop looks like a wood lot.

Jack Mincey

Woodturning Curricula

Hi Jack,
I have been teaching woodturning to boys aged 14-18 at Ocean Tides school for several years. The curriculum I developed continues to evolve with each new class year. If you send me an address I will try to mail you a copy of our basic program.

Sincerely,

Rich lemieux

You might want to also check with Christian Burchard. I know he works with the woodshop teacher at the high school in Ashland, OR. I believe Christian teaches woodturning a couple of days a week (volunteers) at the high school. I think he has also helped them get lathes, tools, etc. using grants and such. Nice guy and a great teacher. He gets all excited when he talks about working with the high school kids.
Hugh

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Donna Banfield said:
George, sorry to report that Jack Grube just took a promotion at Pinkerton Academy, and is no longer running the woodshop. :(

They are currently looking for his successor, so if anyone on the list is looking to change their work environment to teaching, should contact him, or the school.

Donna Banfield
Donna,
I emailed him about that...
He still HAS all of his materials, he just isn't going to be using it in the same context. He does like to encourage others to expand their wood working (turning) horizons in classes, that doesn't seem to have changed.
I am REALLY happy for him, couldn't happen to a nicer, more deserving human.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
ByGeorge said:
Donna,
I am REALLY happy for him, couldn't happen to a nicer, more deserving human.

George, I couldn't agree with you more!! I have gone into his classrooms many times over the past years to demonstrate or teach woodturning projects or techniques to some of his students.

I'm very happy for him and for what he's done for some of his students. I believe that he is responsible for saving for than a few lives, by giving them something to hang on to. But the woodshop at Pinkerton just won't be the same without him. Kinda' bittersweet, if you know what I mean? :(

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Donna Banfield said:
George, I couldn't agree with you more!! I have gone into his classrooms many times over the past years to demonstrate or teach woodturning projects or techniques to some of his students.

I'm very happy for him and for what he's done for some of his students. I believe that he is responsible for saving for than a few lives, by giving them something to hang on to. But the woodshop at Pinkerton just won't be the same without him. Kinda' bittersweet, if you know what I mean? :(
I met Jack at the last turning symposium at Pinkerton... Knew he was a mensch right away, the way he handled the students and all.
I sold him quite a lot of turning blanks (he got an excellent deal, by the way) at that show and kept in touch.
After corresponding for a while, he invited me up to talk to the kids for a day... WHAT an experience! I had more fun in those classes than most of my total high school years combined. I demonstrated my bandsaw segmenting to the advanced kids... I only mention that because in this latest interaction, Jack informed me that Bradley (don't remember his last name) won a third place with his interpretation of that concept. That information was the crown on an already great day. The picture Jack sent is on my desk top, and will be for a while. ODD kind of ego trip, but I would never have had that chance without Jack and his program.
I am SURE that he will only add his new duties to his love of teaching, and keep an eye on the students anyway. I don't think he could take on this new job without knowing he could still be a teacher in some capacity.

Back