• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

? Working with aniline dyes

rdc

I have applied an aniline dye over lacquer-sand-sealer. While I did not get a total penetration of the dye, I do like the effect. If I now coat it with clear lacquer, will it adhere to the piece and lock in the dye? Also, can one layer the dye between coats of lacquer? Thanks for any info.........rdc

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You can put lacquer over what you have done. I haven't tried putting the dye over a project with several coats of lacquer so I can't answer that. It would be pretty simple to set up a test on a scrap piece. That's what I do whenever I'm in doubt about campatability of finishes. I've had too many disasters over the years so now I'll just pull a scrap piece of of the bin and sand it and apply the same sort of finishes I'm playing with. This has save me many yours of heartache.

If you are going to put any colorant over lacquer you will have to put a couple more coats of lacquer over the colorant in order to seal it in. But I don't think this is the recommended procedure.

I've successfully put dye in the lacquer to tint it and gotten good results. But I do suppose that it depends on the dye.

The guy I work for started in the finishing room and has played around with multi-color (polychromatic) dying in the lacquer. In other words you add different colors to different layers and build it up. He says that you can really get some interesting finishes doing this...

Last edited:
Back