• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Worthy of the Mustard Monster Site?

The short time I have been a member of this forum I have learned when one posts ideas and methods used, there are many, many interesting responses. Most are very informative and I have learned so much from everyone. Some were neutral with pros and cons associated to the subject, which to me is also great information. Then, of course are those that almost feel like the poster is just a negative person in life...much like standing with a group of men discussing anything.
That said, I just installed the bearings on the motor for my 3520B and found a really simple way to do it, for those that want to do it themselves that do not own a press nor want to take it to a machine shop. I'm no expert but have installed many bearings on saws, grinders, motors, some of my early cars and trucks, trailers and even motorcycles around the house and never had a failure yet (knock on a bowl).
Before suggesting this being put on the Mustard Monster Site, I feel a discussion would be healthy and wise...
It appears two common methods and I'm sure there are more of installing interfering fit bearings on a shaft are using a hydraulic press which is the best in my opinion. The second appears to be using a bearing drift to tap the bearing to seat it. Please look at the picture carefully and you will see I used pieces of wood against the base of my vise to rest the motor shaft against so there is not much shock to the motor shaft components and no damage to the end of the shaft. This worked for both bearings. I used a chrome plated brass 1 1/4" x 12" sink drain extension on one end and an 11/16" long barreled socket on the other end, then used a rubber mallet to gently seat the bearings in position. Though they are interference fit, any little tap moved the bearings and I'm very confident there was no damage. I've included a picture of the end of the plumbing piece that was against the bearing to show the brass shows no damage whatsoever, I truely believe I could have used a pvc extention without damaging it much but had the brass one on hand. I did not have to tap the socket any harder than the plumping fitting to gently seat the smaller bearing, the only thing I would have done differently would be to use a 3/4" socket because once the bearing seated I had to pull the socket off the small part of the bearing land sticking out past the bearing. I only needed a gentle pull to remove it and there was no marking on the shaft but using a 3/4" would give better clearance. I've included a picture of the land sticking out past the bearing to show absolutely no marking.
If the consensus of the group that this method should not be used or the information is not useful, it will matter little to me, no hard feelings, truly do not want to give bad advise. I actually hesitated to post this for those reasons. If this is useful, it would be better if someone more skilled in writing than I put this into a better constructive format more suited to an information site
Would like to try to repay all of the absolutely money and time saving information you all have freely given me in such a short time. Thanks again for that.
View attachment 43130View attachment 43131View attachment 43132

Last edited:
Can't comment on the mustard monster, but it is always nice to see creative options to get a job done. Bearings in particular are their own whole set of fun. I've invoked freezing components, and a light bulb to heat other parts to enable slipping them into place. FWIW - the lightbulb thing works much better with an incandescent bulb than a LED.

Agree on the helpfulness and information found here though.

Can't comment on the mustard monster, but it is always nice to see creative options to get a job done. Bearings in particular are their own whole set of fun. I've invoked freezing components, and a light bulb to heat other parts to enable slipping them into place. FWIW - the lightbulb thing works much better with an incandescent bulb than a LED.

Agree on the helpfulness and information found here though.
I watched a video of a mechanic that uses an old electric wok to heat his bearings up to 250 degrees in hydraulic oil then places them on the shaft, interesting. Of coarse he then had to clean and pack them...

Two things come to mind

1 Push on the bearing race that is the interference fit, never transmit the force thru the balls or rollers.

2 Squareness is extremely important, never apply the force to only one side, it must push the whole race. If it cocks it could mar the shaft or the housing and cause problems.

Stu

Yes sir, the 1 1/4" drain extension was too tight to rise or drop to touch the balls. The socket was even tighter than that.
Very light taps of the rubber hammer against my drift that I made sure I rested squarely on the inner race caused movement every swing. Would have stopped to investigate had there been no movement after a stroke. If the rubber hammer would not have moved the bearings, I would have fabricated a screw press or just visited a machine shop...as it was the SKF bearings went on snug but not overly tight.
That's good info, thanks.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Marvin,

The only judgment I use for accepting an entry to the Mustard Monster site is:
  1. pertains to a PowerMatic lathe,
  2. probably won’t damage the lathe,
  3. is not unsafe, and
  4. is appropriate content for general use (e.g., G-rated)
So, if you found it useful, it is probable that others will too.

Rich

I watched a video of a mechanic that uses an old electric wok to heat his bearings up to 250 degrees in hydraulic oil then places them on the shaft, interesting. Of coarse he then had to clean and pack them...
In 1964 to 1965 I worked for an apparatuses repair plant whose main business was rewinding specialty motors and of course when reassembling they all received new bearings. The procedure they used was to heat the bearing to about 180 degrees F, and that was almost all the time shielded pre-lubed bearings, then very quickly drop it into place on the shaft. The final act was to grab the appropriate size steel pipe, slip it over the shaft and use a steel hammer to make sure the bearing was fully seated.

A hydraulic press or mechanical means of pressing the bearing onto a shaft or into housing is the preferred method to avoid
damaging the internal components of the bearing. Heating one component and freezing the other is another preferred method
over using a hammer and drift pin to drive the bearing home. A couple pieces of all-thread can also be used as a mechanical
means of pushing or pulling against a bearing assembly. If you have access to a porta-power you can use the hydraulic rams
to press or pull bearings while your headstock is still mounted to the lathe. Every time you strike the outer surface of the bearing
housing with a hammer and drift pin you are creating small marks on the balls and races which over time will cause the bearing
to fail prematurely. Some people get lucky, and the bearings last for years even though they used a hammer and did the tap, tap, tap routine.

Back