• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

...your favorite wood to turn is?

Cherry, box elder, ash and walnut in that order. I've managed to get bowl and spindle blanks from fallen trees, neighbors treework and firewood. Eastern PA is great domestic hardwoods.

Pacific Madrone, by a long shot! You just never can figure out how it will warp as it dries. You have to be kind of peculiar to be able to get along with this wood, and that may be a large part of why we get along so well...... I would love to turn more black cherry, but it doesn't grow out west here very well, or maybe just very uncommon.

robo hippy
I wouldn't say you're peculiar Reed. Intelligent, unique and giving of your knowledge yes, but not peculiar.

Native wood, it’s a toss up between walnut and apple. Imported, flip a coin over African Blackwood and Cocobolo.

Saw a funny clip on Facebook the other day with one of the Minions on it. The quote was "Some one called me normal. I have never been so insulted in all my life." I am kind of like that.... Some times more than others....

robo hippy

I can agree with the mesquite vote. Here in the Phoenix area, I can usually get another large piece for turning after every storm. Most days I can check CL for downed trees and have the pick of the litter. Local spalted apple is also a new love of mine as the figure is stunning.

Attachments

• IMG_20221222_162156_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221222_162156_HDR.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221012_204443.jpg
    20221012_204443.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 17
I’m kinda simple, but I’ve always loved black cherry, it’s usually stable I think the perfect hardness, and usually has decent coloring

Wow, what a great question. Also very difficult now that I hit the reply button. I used to be enamored with the exotics but these days I like a good solid crack and bug free domestic, Whatever it is.

Of the local woods in my area I like pecan and mesquite. I like pecan because of its colors with an oil finish and the contrast of the heartwood to sapwood. I love that creamy sap next to the reddish congac heartwood. Just lovely. I like mesquite because of it stability and easy sanding, you can core much thinner and gain more yield because it ovals very little during drying. This being said, it would be a shorter list on what I didn't like. If its domestic hardwood I have found it will make something very well. Walnuts, oaks, Ashes, hickories, maples, fruit-woods and cherry etc all good. I even like some softwoods and the odd ornamental thing I usually don't know what it is.

The exotics I think I like in order; Pink ivory, African blackwood, Chechen, and Verawood the smell is lovely but its a pain to work but worth the smell.

There are several wood species I like turning that do look very nice, but sometimes you find a special piece of wood, but where would one be able to find it again, it was a piece of spalted Japanese Lilac that I found, turned very nice and the look of it is really special, so that is a special wood I would like to turn again, yes also some spalted Apple is close to that, but easier to find.

Spalted Japanese Lilac.jpgJapanese Lilac.jpgJapanese Lilac wood.jpgSpalted Japanese Lilac bowl.jpg

There are several wood species I like turning that do look very nice, but sometimes you find a special piece of wood, but where would one be able to find it again, it was a piece of spalted Japanese Lilac that I found, turned very nice and the look of it is really special, so that is a special wood I would like to turn again, yes also some spalted Apple is close to that, but easier to find.

View attachment 52594View attachment 52595View attachment 52596View attachment 52597
Spectacular grain...

A couple of outstanding species I've come across when doing architectural spindles was Western white sugar pine and Spanish cedar. The sugar pine smells so sweet that it makes a delight to go in to the turning area. The Spanish cedar takes details easily and is soft enough to be quickly turned. Maybe Honduras mahogany would be a good second place there.

Olive wood, as mentioned earlier, does cut surprisingly easy. I just did a batch of screwdriver handles that had a piece of olive wood. I'd gotten used to the pace and care of the other woods first like jarrah, osage, zebra wood, mesquite. When the olive wood blank went on the lathe, I thought, "Oooh Wow! This is a nice difference".

1          drivers - 1.jpg 1          drivers 1 - 1.jpg

Cherry, is South Carolina Cherry different than what other regions have, with age it turns from a light reddish brown to a very dark brown. Dogwood, Pear, Chinaberry, Walnut, Willow Oak.

Wally

Back