• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

modifying Jet mini for variable speed

I have seen some kits advertised that supposedly can convert a jet mini to variable speed. D0 any of these kits work, is it even possible to make a mini variable, or is it better to buy a new lathe. My mini has sentimental value to me and i don' really want to get rid of it, and do not really have room for 2 mini's

Sure you get variable speeds, but don't count on it for turning bowls. Torque really drops. Considering paying less than $140 for a motor, pulley, and speed controller, you should realize you aren't buying a high end remedy! If the old Jet really has sentimental value, put it on a shelf in the den and buy a better machine for the shop. You'll be much happier!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ditto what Richard says. I did bowl demos for 3 days on a jet mini variable speed. when roughing I had to take rediculously shallow cuts until it got round and I could turn the speed up. With DC motors you lose torque as the speed is turn down and unfortunately when roughing bowl you need high torque low speed. You would be much better off saving for a Jet Midi or possibly some other lathe when a bigger motor and better low speed torque.

I to had a jet mini 1014 and toyed with the idea of buying a variable kit and installing. But luckily a NIB Jet 1221 came up for sale and I picked it up for $650, sold my mini with stand and extension for $400 within a week of listing it, so cost a little more and gave up the extra length but I am very happy with it especially having reverse. And I also went to my local Woodcraft to pick up the stand and they were selling a used one for half off!! All together I think I’m better off with it than buying a kit and installing it.

Paul

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have seen some kits advertised that supposedly can convert a jet mini to variable speed. D0 any of these kits work, is it even possible to make a mini variable, or is it better to buy a new lathe. My mini has sentimental value to me and i don' really want to get rid of it, and do not really have room for 2 mini's

Tom, the variable speed kits necessitate replacing the existing AC induction motor with a universal motor (as in electric drill, router, Sawzall, etc.) or a DC motor. I think thaI have the six speed stepped pulley Jet mini which is sort of a poor man's variable speed and I like it just fine. I can get the full half horsepower at any of the six speeds ... no problem turning anything under ten inches. Talk to John Horn about his variable speed Jet mini. He said it is fine for small items like Christmas ornaments, but is wimpy at low RPM and not really a true half horse at max RPM's so it wouldn't work for roughing out a bowl from a half log. If you intend to keep the lathe I would leave it as is. If you really want variable speed I think that the Jet 1221 would be a much better way to go.

Back