• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pop Auction

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
All over - some bargains were to be had - copying a post from the WOW site that sums it nicely:

Here is a highly unofficial report on the second week of the AAW POP (Professional Outreach Program) auction on e-bay which ended today (April 23).

Highest price paid was for Graeme Priddle's piece at $3,550 followed my Jacques Vesery/Michael Hosaluk collaboration at $2,750 and Steve Sinner/Binh Pho collaboration at $2,550.

Binh Pho glass piece went for $1,925, J. Paul Fennell's work fetched $1,825, David Ellsworth ash form $1,550, John Jordan's bucket $1,275 and Binh Pho wood piece $1, 050.

Other work in order which went for under $1,000: Joey Richardson ($920), Christian Burchard ($830), Don Derry ($820), Dale Larson ($625), Andi Wolfe ($616), Trent Bosch ($520), Jerry Kermode ($380) and Gorst du Plessis ($280).

Again some great bargains on pieces donated by artists. As John Jordan stated in an earlier post, this was a one time auction to support a rework of the AAW web site, and 100% of the proceeds go for that project. By my count the second week raised $21,466 and the first week $8,136.55. Unofficial total of $29,602.55.

John, thanks for the result run down. All in all, I don't think that ebay was the correct venue for this type of auction. That is for those who just want to dump products out to the general market place in my mind. THESE artists sell their work for nearly the price paid for the collective group and in some cases more! You did not derive enough help from this effort in my mind and they (the artists), gave their work away but willingly. There must be a better way to represent them as well as the AAW web site. Sorry, just the way I looked at this.

Back