1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Woodcut Pro-Mount Carving Stand

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Dave Bunge, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Dave Bunge

Dave Bunge

Location (City & State):
    Midland, MI
    Does anyone have experience with the Woodcut Pro-Mount carving stand? Here's a link to a promotional video/demo by Terry Scott:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=p4kQ_ShgaHg&feature=emb_logo

I've been doing some research and reading past forum threads about carving stands and have seen lots of support and satisfied users for the unit from Trent Bosch. But haven't seen much discussion about Woodcut's unit. It seems like the Woodcut one would be more versatile, for example, can be used with a vacuum chuck. But I'm interested to know how solid and well built it is.

Hope to hear from someone who's tried one first hand.

Dave

2. JeffSmith

JeffSmith

Location (City & State):
    Lummi Island, WA
    I’ve been using mine for 8 or 9 years now. I like it. sets up on either banjo or bench, very secure hold. I use it mostly on the bench secured to a t-track using a vacuum chuck. The two handles take a little bit to sort out, but once you get the hang of it it’s intuitive to use. Great for routing dutchmen in place or carving. Not a lot that can go wrong with it, pretty simple device. I expect it’ll outlive me.
    I was under the assumption that Trents carving stand allowed use of the vacuum chuck...but could be corrected.

Dave Bunge likes this.
  3. GRJensen

GRJensen

Location (City & State):
    Bay Settlement, WI
    I have the Trent Bosch carving stand ... mine does not support the use of a vacuum chuck.

4. Bill Blasic

Bill Blasic

Location (City & State):
    Erie, PA
    I use the stainless steel articulated carving and finishing post from Best Wood Tools.

5. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    I have the Bestwoodtools carving rest. I ha e a love hate relationship.with the two handle design. When im.doing duplicate style carving on the face of a platter you can lock the angle and then the top can be rotated and locked in the exact same orientation. When im.doing random patterns around a vessel the 2 knob design is a pain. I've looked at the Bosch for that reason. I would like the option of vacuum capability. Vic at Bestwoodtools talked.about making a new carving stand that used one knob and took a vacuum chuck but I havent seen it on his website.

6. Dave Bunge

Dave Bunge

Location (City & State):
    Midland, MI
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'd like to start making bowls with carved feet. It seems like a vacuum chuck on a carving stand would be a good way to hold the work when carving feet. So I'm going to get one of the Woodcut Pro-Mounts and try it out.

7. JeffSmith

JeffSmith

Location (City & State):
    Lummi Island, WA
    The vac chuck with the pro-mount is nice for doing the feet - easy to adjust and secure.

8. James Seyfried

James Seyfried

Location (City & State):
    Davison, Michigan
    Home Page:
    I have the Woodcut Pro-mount and bought it partly because of the ability to use the vacuum chuck. As Jeff mentioned it takes a bit to get use to the way the handles move, no big deal. For carving feet, in most cases you only need the vacuum chuck for natural edge bowls. Traditional bowls can be held with a longworth chuck, Cole or jumbo jaws. Reading some reviews some have complained that it gets surface rust easily, so I used a rust inhibitor on it right when I got it. I think you will be happy with it.

odie likes this.
  9. Dave Bunge

Dave Bunge

Location (City & State):
    Midland, MI
    Jim, thanks for the response. Your bowls and Chris Ramsey's are what are inspiring me to start adding feet to my NE bowls. Not saying I'm in your league by any means, but a guy can dare to dream.

James Seyfried and odie like this.
  10. JeffSmith

JeffSmith

Location (City & State):
    Lummi Island, WA
    I live in the very wet Pacific Northwest - just a few miles from the Canadian border on a small island relatively close to salt water (about 200' or so away) - shop doors are habitually open to the weather most days and there's a creek running nearby. Lots of rain and humidity is a pretty consistent 75% much of the year. I have had absolutely no surface rust after nearly a decade of doing nothing to protect it...but then I haven't had a problem with surface rust on my equipment either (saws and other equipment do get a Boshield treatment once a year or so). Just luck? The shop is well insulated (no heat other than small portables) and closed up when I'm not working.