• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodcut Pro-Mount Carving Stand

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
To the best of my knowledge, the Vermec jig is no longer being made. If this information is incorrect, I would welcome new information. I use the Vermec carving vise on a regular basis, and have students inquire about the availability. In the last 2 years, I have been told that it's no longer being made.:-(
Maybe Enzo made one just for me? He is one of my sponsors, When I asked for one he said no problem, about 8 months ago. Email Enzo and or Nadine and ask them about it.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Maybe Enzo made one just for me? He is one of my sponsors, When I asked for one he said no problem, about 8 months ago. Email Enzo and or Nadine and ask them about it.
Oh, I already own one of his. I've had it for more than a decade, and when I purchased, I got an email from him, thanking me for buying it. Apparently, I was one of the first to buy in the US, and he hoped that I would be willing to share my experiences with others. Of course, I would, and did, but when I started doing demos and workshops using it, attendees were telling me that they couldn't find where to buy that carving vise. I still feel that it is the best carving vise for woodturners out there, and the only thing to improve could be to add the ability to use a vacuum attachment.

Larry I like to have some information on your vacuum on/off connection block. I like to have sorting like that for my setup. It also looks like that type of vacuum plate (or a chuck) could be made to use with any carving vice.
James, sorry about the slow reply.

The pictures I posted earlier in this thread were my first rendition. I made a vacuum chuck from wood and made the green gasket from silicone caulk and corn starch. I used it mostly to make and assembly stools. It worked so well I decided to improve it.

In this version I machined a block with a 1-1/4"-8 thread and also equipped to utilize vacuum.
IMG_5245.JPGIMG_5246.JPG

The next two pictures are home made vacuum chucks that I normally used on the lathe. They are copies of what David Ellsworth uses.

IMG_5248.JPGIMG_5249.JPG

I think the Wilton PowerArm equipped with my block is the ultimate carving stand. One lever lock control. Switch from regular chuck to vacuum in seconds.

Back