• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
1589 Camphor burl
odie

1589 Camphor burl

There was a discussion recently about this bowl concerning the time it took to season it after roughing. 5 7/8" x 2 3/4". Initial MC was 22%, and took a total of 41 months to reach stabilization! (Stabilization is determined by monthly weights.) This is much longer than any bowl that I've ever roughed and seasoned, and I have no explanation for the lengthy time it took for stabilization. Sanded to 600gt, Danish oil natural, Beall 3-step buff.
Nice work. How difficult was it to get a clean tool finish compared to other woods that you have turned? When I first saw the picture it looked like the curve on the left and right were different until I figured out that the cloth background on the left was the culprit. :)

I have a piece of camphor that Mark Hepburn gave me a few years ago, but I'm still waiting for the right project ... maybe a small lidded box. I have not been tracking its weight although I probably should before I decide to put it on the lathe.

Nice work. How difficult was it to get a clean tool finish compared to other woods that you have turned? When I first saw the picture it looked like the curve on the left and right were different until I figured out that the cloth background on the left was the culprit. :)

I have a piece of camphor that Mark Hepburn gave me a few years ago, but I'm still waiting for the right project ... maybe a small lidded box. I have not been tracking its weight although I probably should before I decide to put it on the lathe.

Thanks, Bill.....

Actually, I'm wearing a white glove and tipping the bowl up to get a better advantage with the natural light coming through my window. That's why the left profile doesn't match the right profile. My hands are not that steady, so the pic may be blurred a little bit (?). The view of the bottom is a better representation of the finish.

This is the only Camphor burl I've ever turned, so I'm not sure how it will compare with your piece. I did find it to cut fairly easily though.....even though the wood was a bit "soft". You could dent it pretty easily with your fingernail. Because of that softness, the buffing process actually wore a little bit of the wood away in a few places, I believe.

If this piece is a typical example of Camphor burl, I'm not sure I'd be interested in getting any more of it.......well, unless I came across a deal I couldn't refuse! :)

Maybe someone else has more experience with this wood, and can give us a better idea of what is normally to be expected from Camphor.......

-----odie-----

Another beautiful bowl Odie, fantastic job! I've never turned Camphor.........could the softness of the wood have anything to do with the long drying process? Really like the detail of this one! Good job indeed!! :)

Another beautiful bowl Odie, fantastic job! I've never turned Camphor.........could the softness of the wood have anything to do with the long drying process? Really like the detail of this one! Good job indeed!! :)

Hi Lamar......Thank you!

I have no idea about the softness relating to the drying time. Could be, but since I've never turned Camphor burl, that is a distinct possibility.

Take care, friend
-----odie-----

I love the design. I have turned a few pieces of Camphor - but never burl....The non-burled wood turns very nice. But...that color is much darker than the color of Camphor I have turned - which is almost a Yellow Pine color with streaks of reds to browns....

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device