• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
2070 African Blackwood.
odie

2070 African Blackwood.

Finished 11/20/2022, African Blackwood. Original square block was 8x8x2, and had 12% MC, Roughed without anchorseal, and stabilized after 6 months seasoning time. This bowl block was purchased from the estate sale of a musical instrument maker. Low MC indicates it was likely in storage for decades. I've never seen African Blackwood in sizes big enough to make a bowl before, so I consider myself lucky to have purchased three 8x8x2 bowl blocks from this estate sale. Sold for $445. Finished size is 7 5/8" x 1 15/16". Danish oil natural, sanded to 1500gt, Beall 3-step buffed.

-----odie-----
In addition to the beauty of the wood, your crisp details really make this piece a stunner!

Another signature piece. Ever considered giving online lessons?

Thanks Karl.....:)

No, never thought of giving lessons. My whole turning philosophy revolves around my great effort towards self improvement, and I really don't have the desire to pursue any other goals. Perhaps, some day, I might consider making an instructional video.....but, even then......in order to do it right......it would involve much more effort than I'd probably be willing to invest.

....and another consideration is.....I feel I'm living on "borrowed time" as it is, and I want to keep my nose to the grindstone for as long as I am still capable of being productive in my own shop.

-----odie-----

Thanks Karl.....:)

No, never thought of giving lessons. My whole turning philosophy revolves around my great effort towards self improvement, and I really don't have the desire to pursue any other goals. Perhaps, some day, I might consider making an instructional video.....but, even then......in order to do it right......it would involve much more effort than I'd probably be willing to invest.

....and another consideration is.....I feel I'm living on "borrowed time" as it is, and I want to keep my nose to the grindstone for as long as I am still capable of being productive in my own shop.

-----odie-----

I’d be willing to trade some burl wood for some hands on lesson if you weren’t so far away. You’ve definitely mastered the art when it comes to this style, and you finishes are always top notch.You really should consider giving some lessons as a way to pass on your legacy to future generations. I’m pretty sure there are others would get in line for a paid IRD if you ever decide to give one.

I’d be willing to trade some burl wood for some hands on lesson if you weren’t so far away. You’ve definitely mastered the art when it comes to this style, and you finishes are always top notch.You really should consider giving some lessons as a way to pass on your legacy to future generations. I’m pretty sure there are others would get in line for a paid IRD if you ever decide to give one.

OK, thank you for your confidence, Karl..... :)

-----odie-----

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata