• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
2117 Swirly Maple Burl.
odie

2117 Swirly Maple Burl.

Finished 11/18/22, 10 1/8" x 2 13/16", 13.1 oz. After roughing, the roughed bowl took 5 months to stabilize, original MC was 14%, sanded to 600gt, Danish oil natural, Beall 3-step buffing method, has true undercut rim, sold for $275 1/11/23. There are many different possible burl grain patterns, and this "swirly" figure is one of my favorites! Your comments are welcome.....

-----odie-----
Quite stunning Oldie! Is it dyed or is that the natural colour?

Thanks Kevin :)

The Watco Danish oil natural that I use, does darken white woods a little. I wish it wouldn't, but the color it gets is still appealing, nonetheless.

Then again, my photography may not accurately represent the true coloring.....IMO, it doesn't.

There have been threads about how to keep white woods white.....but, there doesn't seem to be a satisfactory solution to that proposition.....

-----odie-----

Lovely bowl Odie! I agree with you about the grain on this one.

Thank you Will :)

You know.....to my knowledge, there isn't any "official" designations to the patterning of burls, like there is to non-burls. The term "swirly" is my own word. I also use "sunburst" and "starburst", but those are basically the same thing.....

-----odie-----

Another striking piece Odie; you’re just showing off now!! Okay, maybe a little jealous, lol!!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device