• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
#2158 African Padauk.
odie

#2158 African Padauk.

This one could have been turned in one setting, but roughed bowl did lose 0.2 oz over a period of 4 months. Completed on 6/8/2023, 9 7/8" x 1 7/8", 12.7 oz. Padauk turns very easily and looks great with it's outstanding red, red, red color!

-o-
Over the 4 months drying time, did the color fade Odie? I avoid Padauk because it goes brown so quickly. It is a beautiful red when freshly finished!

Over the 4 months drying time, did the color fade Odie? I avoid Padauk because it goes brown so quickly. It is a beautiful red when freshly finished!

Howdy Russ......What you see here is after 6 months of indoor exposure in my shop. I didn't notice any dramatic changes in the redness during that time, but there may have been some browning. I think it is direct sunlight that causes color changes, and this one really hasn't had much direct sunlight since it came into my possession.

The worst color change I've seen, is bloodwood, and that one turned very brown after a few months of storage in a dark storage space. I avoid bloodwood these days. :(

Edit note: I just now checked up on this Padauk bowl, and it still has a nice deep red color that very closely resembles the coloring in the photo.....but, still.....it hasn't spent any time in direct sunlight since the photos were taken......

-o-

Last edited:
The very first thing I turned was a scratch awl made from Padauk. After 14 years, sitting out in the basement shop and making weekly trips to the high school shop, it's still a deep red.

That's a very nice bowl/platter/plate, Odie. As always, well done with exceptional detail work.

The very first thing I turned was a scratch awl made from Padauk. After 14 years, sitting out in the basement shop and making weekly trips to the high school shop, it's still a deep red.

That's a very nice bowl/platter/plate, Odie. As always, well done with exceptional detail work.

Thanks Dean..... :)

I have made other bowls from Padauk, and don't recall them turning brown.....but, must add that all of them are sold, or given away, and I can no longer inspect them to find out for sure.

Just wondering if there is anyone else who has had the same results as @Russ Braun with Padauk......?????.....and would like to comment on this subject.

-o-

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata