• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
2181 African Zebrawood.
odie

2181 African Zebrawood.

Completed 2/22/2023, Original turning block was 14% MC, and after roughing, it took a total of 8 months before it stabilized/ready for finish turning. 8 3/4" x 1 7/8", 11.3 oz, sanded to 600gt, Danish oil natural, Beall 3-step buffed. I personally like the grain pattern of Zebrawood, but in my experience, it isn't a great seller.....not sure why that is!

-o-
Very nice Odie! One question though.... Do you ever want to expand or have expanded your turning? I know if I expand I will not stay focused with one or two areas and refine my work. Quality over quantity as they say...

Very nice Odie! One question though.... Do you ever want to expand or have expanded your turning? I know if I expand I will not stay focused with one or two areas and refine my work. Quality over quantity as they say...

Thanks, Gabriel..... :)

I'd guess that many turners would become very bored with the way I pursue woodturning, because I am totally focused on the method, rather than any individual piece. I keep refining the process of making the bowls I make, and this is what gives me that internal satisfaction. Also, I do subscribe to the philosophical saying of "do one thing, and do it well".....rather than doing many things that don't live up the the standards I set for myself doing only one thing.....if that makes any sense to you.

From time to time I do other things, but not very often....spindle turning, boxes, cutting boards, and a few other things. Nothing seems to have captured my total attention like side grain bowls, though.......using exceptionally figured wood provided by Mother Nature, of course! :)

-o-

That Zebrawood looks great in this form Odie! BTW, I see a latent segmenter when I see your work, haha!!

Thanks, Gabriel..... :)

I'd guess that many turners would become very bored with the way I pursue woodturning, because I am totally focused on the method, rather than any individual piece. I keep refining the process of making the bowls I make, and this is what gives me that internal satisfaction. Also, I do subscribe to the philosophical saying of "do one thing, and do it well".....rather than doing many things that don't live up the the standards I set for myself doing only one thing.....if that makes any sense to you.

From time to time I do other things, but not very often....spindle turning, boxes, cutting boards, and a few other things. Nothing seems to have captured my total attention like side grain bowls, though.......using exceptionally figured wood provided by Mother Nature, of course! :)

-o-
Great words, Odie! How long did it the you to find what you wanted to be good at?

Great words, Odie! How long did it the you to find what you wanted to be good at?
Howdy and thanks, Nick. :)

It wasn't a conscious effort at all, but rather an "evolvement" over time......but, to answer the question honestly, I'd say I turned for 20 years before I came to the realization that I was headed in a singular direction.....and, that was 20+ years ago! Making that realization, and having that as the main focus of my efforts were two different pivotal points in the total "process". The main thrust has always been bowl turning, but somewhere along the way, the focus shifted to the process, and how to improve that. This "process" I speak of, not only includes improving results on the lathe, but improving the shop, so that everything little thing is fine tuned with the purpose of easing and simplifying every step, while in the act of turning.

-o-

Last edited:

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings