• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
A Grief Observed
Michael Anderson

A Grief Observed

Spalted Mango heart on ebonized Black Cherry stand. 6.5"h x 6"w x 3.5"d. I made this piece for a swap on another forum. My swap partner suffered a tragedy recently, so I created this to represent the pain we feel when we lose a loved one. The name comes from C.S. Lewis' collection of reflections following the death of his wife.
I turned the heart on two different axes, and then carved and pyro textured a portion. Functionally, the heart is a bud vase. Finished with shellac and lacquer. The non-wood portion of the stand is the handle of a vintage silver-plated spoon, and some brass hardware. The heart can be removed from the stand. I ebonized the base via black lacquer, and finished with clear satin lacquer. Here are a couple of alternative views:

Dgbm7zj.jpeg

LbPnuIf.jpeg

There are a lot of significant passages in C.S. Lewis' collection, but one in particular is haunting:

"No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear. I am not afraid, but the sensation is like being afraid. The same fluttering in the stomach, the same restlessness, the yawning. I keep on swallowing."

Awesome piece...the story behind it is so sad and the emotion of the art reflects that.

Excellent swap piece Michael! The fact that you personalized it for the recipient will make it all that more special! What Gabriel said is sooo fitting!!

Thank you all for the kind words. This was a pretty heavy piece to make. Although I did not suffer the loss, the making process forced me to think about relationships, grief, the bereavement process, and life’s timeline.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device