• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Arbutus Root Burl with Rocks
Dave Roberts

Arbutus Root Burl with Rocks

This Arbutus Root Burl bowl measures 16" X 8" without the plinth. The arbutus (Madrone) in our area grows on the southern rocky outcrops and being a root burl we almost always encounter rocks. This bowl has 5 rocks in total, 2 are on the inside while 3 are on the outside. Any areas where there are rocks the material was removed by carving the waste wood away. Due to the position and size of the rocks this piece is turned with some hand carving. We were invited to participate in a show called PUSH and the theme was to push the boundaries, very happy to say our piece sold on the opening night.
Thanks Gene, no CNC or any other type of tools, its completely turned on our Oneway Lathe. Some rocks are embedded and out of site when I started and a few may be present. I flood the ones I see with thin CA and then put duct tape around that area. Once I know how deep the rock is and that its very secure I remove the tape but am still turning at rather low RPM. The rocks that are embedded come to the surface as I turn, once the tool hits the rock its dull and need sharpening. I then make a line where the rock is and turn from both sides up to the rock. The band of wood that is left is removed by hand, it continues this way till I am finished. I have several more pieces in various stages with the rocks. cheers

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dave Roberts
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device